Cool Air

Want to sell something? Have a request? Want to give something away? Advertise local services, etc. here.

Cool Air

Postby whiskeypete » Tue Jul 08, 2014 7:09 am

Homemade Evaporative Cooler (Swamp Cooler) :cool2:
What I want is some cool air! This guy put together an interesting contraption that makes cool air.
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Re: Cool Air

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:42 am

I thought about making some sort of swamp cooler for my garage. After a lot of thought I came to the conclusion that an old fashioned mister is the best way to go.

I think I'll see what google has to offer.

I actually did this before!

I have a mist system on my front porch. I hardly ever use it except when the electricity goes out. To be honest I forgot all about it till now. When I use it I have it hooked to a garden hose timer and when I go outside I just set the timer a little longer than I plan on being outside so I don't have to worry about shutting it off or wasting water. Thought about hard piping it with PVC over to the porch so I can leave the pressure on all the time and not have to walk over to the hose bib to turn it on. Though maybe with today's tech it would be easier to just install a remote. Only problem would be finding it. Decisions. Decisions!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jul 08, 2014 8:48 am

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dustdevil » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:05 am

Homemade air conditioner DIY - Awesome Air Cooler! - EASY Instructions - can be solar powered!
Using a block of ice might not be the best way to go, but here's an alternative suggestion that someone left in the comments. BTW, this video has over a million views in just a couple months.
This is very good. I would use freezer gel packs. These would hold the cold a lot longer. I would have three sets of packs and rotate them about every eight hours. Also bottles of anti-freeze would be good. Using raw ice is not practical. There would be the need for water drainage, and possible bacteria accumulation with the water and air.

dustdevil
Greenhorn

Postby dustdevil » Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:08 am

Homemade Evaporative Air Cooler! - Simple "Box Fan" Conversion - EASY Instructions!
Here's another homemade cooler. People must like these do-it-yourself videos. This one has over 220K views in about 9 or 10 months.
dustdevil
Greenhorn

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:35 am

Hmm. If you're not going to recycle the water you might as well just run a mist or adjustable drip irrigation nozzles right off the hose to wet the pads and eliminate the pump. Even what the guy was using would work better off the hose. No pumps or buckets to fill and better control by turning up or down at the hose bib. Why must I analyze everything to death?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sun Jul 20, 2014 8:49 am

Homemade Air Conditioner DIY - The "5 Gallon Bucket" Air Cooler! DIY- can be solar powered!
This video has nearly SIX MILLION views in just ELEVEN months! It appears to be monetized and applying the ONE DOLLAR per 1000 views metric, which is supposed to be the average income for videos that have ads and this one video has earned this guy close to $6000. The channel has a total of over 16 million views and so theoretically at least he's probably earned over $16,000 just from his videos, most of which have been uploaded in the last year. This guy may not be getting rich, but he' supplementing his income in a substantial way.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:39 am

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:57 pm

A weird idea for a swamp cooler for your car just popped into my head. First cut matching holes in the roof of your car and a metal trash can. An office sized one should do unless you are driving a bus. Bolt the trash can to the roof so that when you drive the wind funnels through it and down through the hole in the roof and line the trash can with swamp cooler material. Next fill your windshield washer reservoir up with water and extend the lines so they reach up and spray into the trash can, wetting the pads when you turn on your window washer and poof instant cool. Unless you are stuck at a stop light... It still has a few bugs to work out I guess!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jul 23, 2014 6:06 pm

I just googled swamp coolers for your car and who knew? They have them already. I never thought about putting them in the window! Beats cutting a hole in your car roof and it can be removed for winter.
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sit ... dSftHe83BA
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Want Ads