Scams

Want to sell something? Have a request? Want to give something away? Advertise local services, etc. here.

Re: Scams

Postby MojaveMike » Thu Sep 01, 2016 7:28 pm

Listen to woman scam a scammer :laugh:
This scammer eventually gives into his conscience. Amazing!!!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dingbat » Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:56 am

What I like to do with phone scammers is act like I'm falling for their scam and lead them along and let them waste a few minutes and then I just say I have to go and hang up without explanation. Of course, I give them a fake name so that when they call back the next day after I ignore the phone for the rest of the day, I just say that they were talking to my sister and that she was arrested and won't be able to come to the phone for awhile.
dingbat
Greenhorn

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:18 am

Scammers targeting holiday job seekers
People eager to gain employment should be careful about providing too much info before being officially hired.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:52 am

There was a news clip the other day about the KIDNAPPING SCAM. Basically you get a phone call saying that a loved one has been kidnapped and if you want to see that special someone alive again you need to pay a ransom. Arrangements are made for the dropoff, etc. All along no one was kidnapped, but if you can't find the supposedly missing person you panic and rush to the bank and get the money. Most people also call the police, but the one's who completely fall for the scam don't and wind up losing some cash in the process. I'm not sure how successful this scam is, but it has worked at least a few times especially with elderly people who can't immediately contact their supposedly missing loved on.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CrustyOldFart » Thu Dec 01, 2016 7:29 pm

La Mesa man suspected in grandparent scam
Taking advantage of people in their 80s like this is about as low as it gets. Someone who would do a thing like this should be locked up for a real long time!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CactusHugger » Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:33 pm

Tech 101 - How to protect yourself from phishing scams
I had heard that Podesta was tricked by a group from Ukraine, not Russia, but other than that dumb mistake this guy gives good advice.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby mrgreen » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:05 pm

Signs you've been hacked
Well, if you've fallen for a scam, it might not be immediately obvious, but here are some tips which might help you to discover that you have a problem a little more quickly.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby mrfish » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:08 am

Cybersecurity experts predict more ransomware attacks in 2017
Sounds like a great reason to be careful about what you click and to perform regular backups.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby recluse » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:30 pm

10 Online Scams You Might Get Fooled By!
Some scams you should be aware of... :poop:
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dilbert » Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Phone Scam Targets Consumers
This one seems kind of obvious to me. I just don't see anyone not telling the scammers to STFU. So fucking what if they have a recording of my voice saying yes? See you in court dipshits! Seriously that kind of obvious fraud would turn into a long prison sentence. What's next, some dummy is going to fall for a scam where his image is photoshopped into a compromising situation? It doesn't get much dumber than this!
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Want Ads