Scams

Want to sell something? Have a request? Want to give something away? Advertise local services, etc. here.

Re: Scams

Postby desertrat » Sat Jun 13, 2015 7:36 am

surfsteve wrote:I see!. So big scams like the health care industry are beyond the scope of your thinking; or are you just so disturbed by them that you'd rather bury them somewhere like an Ostrich burring his head in the sand in time of danger in an attempt to avoid reality?

Scams are intentional attempts to deceive. The health care industry is a different beast entirely. Health insurance might be a rip off, but it's not really a scam. The politics that goes on behind the scenes might be corrupt, but it's not a scam. I think your conceptualization is the problem and it is you that needs to change the "scope of your thinking" or lack thereof. There are major problems with the health care industry as it exists in the USA, but attempting to categorize it as some kind of scam is an obvious square-peg-round-hole kind of mistake.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:22 am

I disagree.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby a2z » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:36 pm

desertrat wrote:
surfsteve wrote:I see!. So big scams like the health care industry are beyond the scope of your thinking; or are you just so disturbed by them that you'd rather bury them somewhere like an Ostrich burring his head in the sand in time of danger in an attempt to avoid reality?

Scams are intentional attempts to deceive. The health care industry is a different beast entirely. Health insurance might be a rip off, but it's not really a scam. The politics that goes on behind the scenes might be corrupt, but it's not a scam. I think your conceptualization is the problem and it is you that needs to change the "scope of your thinking" or lack thereof. There are major problems with the health care industry as it exists in the USA, but attempting to categorize it as some kind of scam is an obvious square-peg-round-hole kind of mistake.

There are medical scams, but they exist outside of the health care industry.
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jun 16, 2015 7:10 am

So if one doctor were charging twenty dollars or more for an aspirin it's a scam but when all of them do it together it's-; what are we supposed to call it then?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Tue Jun 16, 2015 4:11 pm

So if one doctor were charging twenty dollars or more for an aspirin it's a scam but when all of them do it together it's-; what are we supposed to call it then?

Not every ripoff is a scam. Deception is a necessary ingredient of a scam. Otherwise, it's just a ripoff.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jun 16, 2015 8:24 pm

MojaveMike wrote:Not every ripoff is a scam. Deception is a necessary ingredient of a scam. Otherwise, it's just a ripoff.

By deception you mean like, "If you like your plan you can keep it"?

At least we agree on something!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Jun 17, 2015 8:54 am

surfsteve wrote:
MojaveMike wrote:Not every ripoff is a scam. Deception is a necessary ingredient of a scam. Otherwise, it's just a ripoff.

By deception you mean like, "If you like your plan you can keep it"?

At least we agree on something!

When "If you like your plan you can keep it" was promised I believe it was the intent of those making the promise to keep their promise. However, other members of the government conspired to make it impossible to keep that promise. So, I'd say that's an example of POLITICS and not an actual SCAM.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jun 17, 2015 10:30 am

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:55 am

surfsteve wrote:

It's only a lie if you have NO INTENTION of keeping your promise when you make your promise. If circumstances arise which make it impossible to keep your promise, then that's an entirely different thing.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jun 18, 2015 3:27 pm

twister wrote:It's only a lie if you have NO INTENTION of keeping your promise when you make your promise. If circumstances arise which make it impossible to keep your promise, then that's an entirely different thing.

Agreed. And?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Want Ads