Copyright / Fair Use / Anti-SLAPP / etc.

Information pertaining specifically to tronanews.com. Board policy, user information, etc. posted here.

Re: Copyright Cutthroats

Postby sandman » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:02 am

You Don't Really Own Your Phone According to This Law (Nerd Rage) :curse:
If I own it I should be able to experiment with it and there should be no laws that interfere with this fundamental and basic right!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MojaveMike » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:30 am

How Quickly Do Internet Companies Need To Take Content Down Following A DMCA Notice?
IMHO a company like YouTube should have at least FIVE BUSINESS DAYS to remove a video that has a copyright claim against it. However, the person who uploaded the video should be warned immediately and be given 72 hours to submit a counter-claim. If the uploader submits a counter-claim, then the video should remain online and available for viewing until the dispute over ownership is resolved. The problem is that big media corporations want things to be automated and immediate and to reduce the rights of the uploader to almost nothing as this commenter points out:
Near real time responses, in fact automated real time responses are possible, but only if there is no review period whatsoever. I doubt the jury would understand that caveat though, no matter how hard you try to explain it to them.

LINK:
https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20150128/16402029845/how-quickly-do-internet-companies-need-to-take-content-down-following-dmca-notice.shtml
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:21 am

I don't really fully understand the difference between copyright and trademark, but apparently Taylor Swift is attempting to trademark some of the phrases she has used in her lyrics despite the fact that they are not at all original. The one that has been mentioned the most in news posts is "This sick beat" and I'm not too sure how she can justify a trademark on a common phrase, but she's giving it a shot. There are a couple other phrases that she's trying to trademark and if she actually gets the trademark it would apply to products such as key chains, tote bags, t-shirts, temporary tattoos, and other items of that nature. Hopefully the government has the good sense not to allow such ridiculous trademarks, but we'll have to wait and see what happens.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CoolChick » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:47 am

panamint_patty: It seems the richer people get the more unreasonable and arrogant they get! The idea of a trademark for common phrases is just plain ridiculous. I admit that I like a couple of Taylor Swift's songs, but not enough to tolerate this kind of arrogance. She needs to tone it down a bit and not be so greedy. It really makes her seem like a bitch!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Copyright Law

Postby hungrybill » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:19 am

Whether you're talking 90 or 120 words, that's a lot better than the 140 character limit they have on Twitter. Figuring on a five letter per word average, that's only 28 words. But as far as being anal about things, I have to agree that that's totally unnecessary!
hungrybill
Greenhorn

Postby surfsteve » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:37 am

alf wrote:
admin wrote:Users are asked to follow copyright law when posting materials to this message board. Fair use provisions allow for short quotes to be taken from articles. Also embedding videos is permissible. However, lengthy quotes of more than approximately 120 words should not be posted. The exception is when quotes are broken into shorter blocks and meaningful analysis is provided which relates to the posted quotes. (This is sometimes referred to as "value added" in the form of commentary, analysis, criticism, etc.) Safe harbor provisions protect the owner of the message board from prosecution for copyright violations of users, but the owner of this message board wishes to avoid involvement in any possible copyright disputes. So, please follow fair use provisions of copyright law when posting materials to this message board. Also provide a link to any materials referenced in your post whenever possible. Thanks!

I don't think it's necessary to be anal about a limit of 120 words, but much more than that and you have definitely gone too far. I shoot for 90 words or less, but sometimes 90 words just isn't enough!

Actually your quote is 144 words and exceeds this forums fair use policy by 14 words!
http://www.wordcounter.net/
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Wed Feb 04, 2015 8:35 pm

surfsteve wrote:
alf wrote:
admin wrote:Users are asked to follow copyright law when posting materials to this message board. Fair use provisions allow for short quotes to be taken from articles. Also embedding videos is permissible. However, lengthy quotes of more than approximately 120 words should not be posted. The exception is when quotes are broken into shorter blocks and meaningful analysis is provided which relates to the posted quotes. (This is sometimes referred to as "value added" in the form of commentary, analysis, criticism, etc.) Safe harbor provisions protect the owner of the message board from prosecution for copyright violations of users, but the owner of this message board wishes to avoid involvement in any possible copyright disputes. So, please follow fair use provisions of copyright law when posting materials to this message board. Also provide a link to any materials referenced in your post whenever possible. Thanks!

I don't think it's necessary to be anal about a limit of 120 words, but much more than that and you have definitely gone too far. I shoot for 90 words or less, but sometimes 90 words just isn't enough!

Actually your quote is 144 words and exceeds this forums fair use policy by 14 words!
http://www.wordcounter.net/

That word counter link is pretty useful! I wonder if all word counters come up with the same word count. It might make a difference if spaces are counted or not. I did a quick search and found that there are several. My favorite is this one:
http://wordcounttools.com/
This word count tool provides all sorts of cool statistics, including readability level. When I read the paragraph it seemed simple enough, but apparently it may not be easily understood by those with only a high school education.
:shrug:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby a2z » Wed Feb 04, 2015 9:04 pm

Something not addressed by the board administrator is images. The same safe harbor and fair use provisions apply, but it's hard to say what fair use is when it comes to images. Simply providing some commentary and a link may be enough, but there is no legal clarity on that issue. As for word count, I copied the paragraph from the first post in this thread into a file using a command line text editor and then ran the standard Unix wc command on the resulting file and the word count came out to 144. So, apparently at least the online word count utilities are accurate.
LINK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wc_%28Unix%29
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby alf » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:17 am

surfsteve: For such a short response, you managed to be wrong in an awful lot of ways! 1) 144-120=24. 2) Twenty-four words over 120 words is still APPROXIMATELY 120 words. It's close enough or as hungrybill says, there's no need to be anal about things. 3) Fair use is only relevant to outside articles. Quoting another post is an entirely different matter.
ALF = Alien Life Form
alf
Greenhorn

Postby cactuspete » Sat Feb 07, 2015 7:48 am

alf wrote:surfsteve: For such a short response, you managed to be wrong in an awful lot of ways! 1) 144-120=24. 2) Twenty-four words over 120 words is still APPROXIMATELY 120 words. It's close enough or as hungrybill says, there's no need to be anal about things. 3) Fair use is only relevant to outside articles. Quoting another post is an entirely different matter.

That's a little harsh, but essentially I agree with you, especially as far as your last point. Of course, in the case of a long quote, the intelligent thing to do would be to break it up into shorter pieces and respond to one point at a time. Then again, that would get you around the restrictions for quoting outside articles also. More important than the length of the quote is the value added in the form of commentary, discussion, etc.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Board Information