Board Information

Information pertaining specifically to tronanews.com. Board policy, user information, etc. posted here.

Re: Board Information

Postby camel » Thu Feb 15, 2018 8:33 am

wildrose: Good advice. Citation of sources makes the board more useful and may help others to find more pertinent info and then turn around and post that info to the board. It's great to have the equivalent of an online notebook that's shared by others who share your interests in various topics!
Would you walk a mile for me?
camel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:42 am

In the past week four posts have been removed because they crossed the line of decency. The users were warned and I think they understand. Basically there's a difference between insulting someone and criticizing their behavior. Often that line is pretty thin, but it's important to know the difference. For instance, if someone says that IF JOHN DOE DID SUCH AND SUCH, THEN HE'S A SCUM that's okay since the label is contingent upon the behavior, but directly calling someone a scum is not okay. Although everyone is entitled to their opinion, it's best to be careful how one expresses one's opinion!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:55 am

A few threads were merged and a few moved to keep things organized. Hopefully this doesn't cause any confusion for anyone. All threads related to the July quakes were put into one thread and a couple threads were moved to different forums. For instance, the Donkeys and Horses thread was moved to the General Environment and Nature forum. Just a little housekeeping. Nothing was deleted.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sun Dec 01, 2019 10:02 am

During November 2019 we had a record number of users online at one time at 411 people. We also had a bunch of spam account requests. I cleared out about 1800 such requests this morning and I during the month I cleared out well over 2000 other such requests. It's hard to say why there were so many spam account requests. Undoubtedly there were some legitimate account requests mixed in with the spam account requests, but it's almost impossible to tell the difference unless people follow the directions provided in the NEW USER thread!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:27 am

The most users online at one time for December was 181. I'm pretty sure most were just bots and trolls, but who knows. It doesn't seem likely that so many people would be interested in this board. I can see maybe forty at a time, but 181 seems crazy and the 411 from November is just plain outrageous. As usual there was a high volume of spam account requests, but that's always been the case for years with this forum.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Wed Apr 01, 2020 7:39 am

MOST USERS ONLINE AT ONE TIME FOR MARCH:
Most users online this month: 317 on Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:11 pm

Not sure if these are real people or bots.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:39 am

cactuspete: It could just as easily be either. Bots could be crawling the site, but social media can create sudden waves of people clicking a link all within a short time. Both scenarios make perfect sense. All it takes is one "social influencer" on FakeBook or Twitter to post a link and then dozens of their followers might click the link to see what's up. You might even wind up with numbers in the hundreds or thousands depending on the person posting the link and the level of interest.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Thu Apr 09, 2020 7:38 am

desertrat: All it takes is one nitwit on Tweeker or Fakebook to send a whole flock of idiots anywhere on the web. On the other hand there's a lot of interesting stuff posted here on Trona News and so there could be genuine interest in this message board that's being driven by people mining this site for pithy commentary and witty observations. Anything is possible!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Fri May 01, 2020 6:47 am

The Most Users Online at one time for the month of April: 212
As is usually the case, most of these were probably bots, but there was probably some legitimate interest in some of the content on this message board. Also, as usual, there were over 4000 span account requests, which, of course, is exactly why there's a procedure to follow to join this message board. It's not hard to figure out if you take the time to read a few key posts, which not only weeds out spammers, but it also weeds out people who are unlikely to stick with the message board.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Fri May 01, 2020 8:33 pm

shadylady wrote:desertrat: All it takes is one nitwit on Tweeker or Fakebook to send a whole flock of idiots anywhere on the web. On the other hand there's a lot of interesting stuff posted here on Trona News and so there could be genuine interest in this message board that's being driven by people mining this site for pithy commentary and witty observations. Anything is possible!

It would be interesting to see an accurate traffic analysis of this website. I'd bet that sixty percent of the traffic is bots, but many bots are crawling for content and may be performing legitimate tasks such as cataloging, measuring public opinion, predicting trends, etc. When it comes to "pithy commentary and witty observations" this message board ranks pretty high, which is why I check out what people are saying here on an almost daily basis.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Board Information