Fukushima

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Diablo

Postby surfsteve » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:22 pm

You're right. Nobody is dying from Diablo. They are all dying from cancer. Must be a coincidence. My mistake! Also the death toll from Chernobyl does not include any cancer victims so how could anybody have died from cancer from it? The millions of extra cancer victims didn't die from Chernobyl. They died from cancer. Likewise the 40 fold increase in thyroid cancer around the Fukushima area is also a coincidence and must be caused by something else. What I don't understand is how nuclear power is supposed to be so cheap and what happens to all the fuel after it is used up and stored till it becomes harmless or how long that will take or how much it will cost.

1. Since the Diablo Canyon nuclear power plant opened in the mid-1980s, San Luis Obispo County has changed from a relatively low-cancer to a high-cancer county.

2. Due to increases in the San Luis Obispo County cancer rate during 2001-2010, an additional 738 people were diagnosed with cancer.

3. Cancer incidence in San Luis Obispo County rose from 0.4 percent below to 6.9 percent above the average for the state of California during the time period of 1988-1990 to 2003-2010. The current cancer rate is the highest of all 20 counties in southern California.

4. After Diablo Canyon began operating, significant rapid increases occurred for the incidence of thyroid and female breast cancer in San Luis Obispo County, both highly radiosensitive cancers.

5. After Diablo Canyon began operating, infant mortality in San Luis Obispo County rose significantly.

6. After Diablo Canyon began operating, child/adolescent cancer mortality in the county rose rapidly.

more at http://calcoastnews.com/2014/03/high-ca ... ear-plant/
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Fukushima: 2 years and nowhere near under control.

Postby admin » Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:55 pm

Op-Ed: A nuclear disaster waiting to happen: Diablo Canyon power plant
Here's a current news posting (actually an editorial) regarding this situation. Surfsteve started a new thread regarding this issue in LOCAL NEWS and although he is correct in asserting that this situation could POTENTIALLY impact Trona, at this time it does not actually involve Trona or the immediate area surrounding Trona.
San Luis Obispo - In the wake of the Fukushima power plant disaster, serious questions were raised about the safety of nuclear power plants in Japan built on or near earthquake fault lines. But what about the Diablo Canyon plant in California? Will it become our Fukushima?

LINK: http://www.digitaljournal.com/news/environment/op-ed-a-nuclear-disaster-waiting-to-happen-diablo-canyon-power-plant/article/401970
admin
Site Admin

Postby surfsteve » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:58 am

Thanks. I feel much safer now that you have moved Diablo away from California and over to Japan. Why didn't Obama think of that?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:02 am

If cancer rates for the Diablo plant are several times normal just 15 miles from the plant they must also be slightly higher in Trona which is approximately 10 times that distance. Wouldn't it be logical to assume that we are getting 1/10th the amount of radiation from it and that there are 1/10th the amount of additional cancer related cases caused from it in Trona then there are in Diablo?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:29 am

surfsteve wrote:If cancer rates for the Diablo plant are several times normal just 15 miles from the plant they must also be slightly higher in Trona which is approximately 10 times that distance. Wouldn't it be logical to assume that we are getting 1/10th the amount of radiation from it and that there are 1/10th the amount of additional cancer related cases caused from it in Trona then there are in Diablo?

No, it does not seem logical to me. It seems farfetched. I would worry more about what the natural local environment contains and whatever possible if any adverse conditions may have resulted from mining.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:04 am

Sparky of SoCal wrote:
surfsteve wrote:If cancer rates for the Diablo plant are several times normal just 15 miles from the plant they must also be slightly higher in Trona which is approximately 10 times that distance. Wouldn't it be logical to assume that we are getting 1/10th the amount of radiation from it and that there are 1/10th the amount of additional cancer related cases caused from it in Trona then there are in Diablo?

No, it does not seem logical to me. It seems farfetched. I would worry more about what the natural local environment contains and whatever possible if any adverse conditions may have resulted from mining.

The cancer rates spiked after the nuclear plant was built. Seems like one of us would have heard about it if a uranium mine had coincidentally opened there at the same time. Also the plant is known to be in terrible shape and in violation of countless safety laws. No. I think we need to look there first not last.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:39 am

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:50 am

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:11 am

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:46 am

Let's play the game for a bit. If an independent study was done by a group with no political agenda went through all the reports you are quoting found errors and fuzzy math would you recognize the findings? Right now today if I could afford to live on the coast around the corner of Diablo I would do it in a heartbeat with zero concern based on facts.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues