Atheists Unite!

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Atheists Unite!

Postby shadylady » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:39 am

CactusHugger: Thanks for that post. That's such a beautiful song. Even religious people might like it since it delivers such a strong and truly spiritual message. Too many people are caught up in cheap shallow religiosity devoid of anything even close to actual spirituality. Although it might sound odd to say, the atheists I know have much more spiritual lives than any of the people I know who attend Christian churches. That might seem ironic, but I think religion and spirituality don't often mix well.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dilbert » Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:06 pm

Jazz Butcher - The Devil Is My Friend
Wait...... um..... do atheists believe in the devil or not? :dizzy:
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Re: Athesist Unite!

Postby shadylady » Thu Oct 22, 2015 8:11 am

dilbert: No, atheists do not believe in the devil or anything pertaining to a religious mythology. I suppose that technically you could be an atheist and believe in supernatural and otherworldly beings, but my guess is that virtually all atheists reject any of that kind of thing. That's not to say that atheists aren't spirtual, just that their spirituality does not have anything to do with any kind of deity (aka, supreme being, god, goddess, etc.) which would make their spirituality intellectual or intuitive as opposed to something relating to something that could be seen as supernatural. Supernatural is, of course, the name of a record album by Carlos Santana, but that's really irrelevant (as opposed to irreverent, little joke there) to this discussion!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Athesist Unite!

Postby wildrose » Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:29 am

There are optimists, pessimists, and there are realists. I think atheists tend to be realists. Rather than denying reality, they accept the fact that we're pretty much alone in the universe without any divine guardian making sure we're safe. At the same time there is no divine guardian that's going to punish us if we break some religious rule either. The optimists focus on the protection of the mythical divine guardian and the pessimists focus on the punishment of such a mythical being. The realists just roll their eyes and say WHATEVER!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Mon Dec 21, 2015 7:41 am

What Is Paganism?
Interesting information about pre-Christian religious traditions in northern Europe. Also interesting stats about atheists towards the end. There are a heck of a lot more atheists than most people would expect.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby dilbert » Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:39 am

Losing faith: Americans becoming less religious especially youngsters
What I'd like to know is if SJWs are more or less likely to be atheists, than sane people. There's nothing more annoying than a progressive atheist, except for maybe a religious fanatic. Well, I suppose they are both equally annoying, but the point is that they are both extremely annoying.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby shadylady » Mon Jan 18, 2016 8:07 am

Should 'In God We Trust' Be Removed From US Money? :curse:
Putting a religious slogan on money is exclusionary and on top of that it's completely and obviously UNCONSTITUTIONAL!
:wtf:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Feb 06, 2016 8:29 am

Phoenix Satanists Get Prayer Removed from City Council Meetings
Although one of the commentators in this clip calls it "trolling" I'd have to say that it was just a legitimate tactic to force local government officials to recognize the separation of church and state. Politicians often prefer to cater to the selfish desires of supporters and fail to realize that they have an obligation to treat everyone in a fair and just manner.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Feb 06, 2016 9:13 am

Jon Stewart On Religion
Nothing like a little comedy to put things into proper perspective! :dizzy:
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:49 am

MojaveMike: I especially like the bit about eggs and Easter. Is it mere coincidence that there were twelve disciples and that eggs come in a carton of twelve? The last part about pork was pretty classic too.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues