Atheists Unite!

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Atheists Unite!

Postby pdm » Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:52 am

shadylady wrote:
panamint_patty wrote:mrgreen: That's all Mormonism is. It's just vanilla Christianity with a few toppings thrown on. It would have been more interesting if Urantia had nothing to do with Christianity, but instead it's just another variation on the same ole same ole.

The thing that Mormonism and Urantia have in common with Christianity is that they all make Cheesus a central part of their religion. There's the resurrection, atonement for sins, gods only begotten son, etc. But then surfsteve makes this statement:
surfsteve wrote:Yep. Pretty much all religions are the same. You could read parts out of the Koran and swear they came from the bible. What's up with that anyway? It's like they want to make us believe we have 1000 choices but basically every choice is the same and everybody is fighting over which choice of the same ole same ole...

That's a pretty big leap of "faith" so to speak. Going from a statement about core similarities of two neo-Christian religions to such a broad over-generalization seems a bit much.

There are huge and deep differences between religions. It's incredibly naive to think otherwise. In fact, you'd have to be as dumb as George Bush Junior to fail to recognize that. Remember he's the one who sincerely believed that we would be greeted as liberators when we illegally invaded Iraq. He failed to realize that all the world is not on the same page (philosophically speaking) despite the rhetoric you sometimes hear from dumb-asses who claim that all religions are fundamentally the same. It just ain't so!
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:48 am

That's like saying there are huge differences between Pepsi and Mountain Dew...
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:09 am

The Big Religion Chart
It's a matter of perspective, I suppose, but I'd have to assume that there are some major differences between Wicca and Christianity. But maybe I'm wrong!
:shrug:
Check out this handy chart. It's no substitute for studying the sacred texts of each religion, but it's a start!
http://www.religionfacts.com/big-religion-chart
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:20 am

Speaking of Wicca, I was watching a series called Strange Angel and it reminded me that Thelema is also a religion that is much different than Christianity. It was actually formed out of rejection for it, so I suppose it's only natural that it would be. Also much of our space program might have never been accomplished had it not been for Thelema.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:27 am

I've read that Christians and Muslims compose about 2/3rds of all religious followers and the other hundreds of religions combined, compose the remaining third.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pdm » Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:36 am

Young Sheldon Cooper Vs Religion (All Clips)
Funny how those who actually READ the Bible tend to be atheists!
Last edited by pdm on Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CrustyOldFart » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:13 am

pdm: I love that clip! It's nice to see that Dungeons and Dragons can lead someone to God! LOL
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:58 am

pdm: I'm ready to sign up for the First Church of Mathology!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pdm » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:58 am

Atheists Launch No Lives Matter Movement
Proof that atheists can make a positive contribution to society!
The organization’s mission statement defines the group as “people motivated by the belief that all human lives are equally meaningless.”

LINK: https://babylonbee.com/news/atheists-launch-no-lives-matter-movement
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby rainbow » Sun Oct 31, 2021 6:16 am

Satanism In Popular Culture
It's not exactly the same as atheism, but today is Halloween and so it looks like Mr. Dice decided it would be a fun topic!
rainbow
Fleabitten Varmint

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues