Atheists Unite!

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Atheists Unite!

Postby MojaveMike » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:19 am

This is one of my favorite topics and so I'm bumping it back to the top of the stack! If anyone knows the true value and meaning of religion, it's atheists. Sometimes you can only see what's real and what's not from the outside looking in. I suspect that most intelligent people who are extremely religious are actually atheists deep down inside.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:26 pm

Hidden Meaning in SAUSAGE PARTY – Earthling Cinema
Religious and political commentary cunningly disguised as a movie for children. However, the sexual content is high in this one, so probably not a good idea to allow the kiddies to watch it.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Dec 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Heathens Greetings! :smokin:
Discussing the so-called War on Christmas has become part of the Christmas tradition.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby ergot » Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:15 am

21 Important Moments In The Life of An Atheist
And people wonder why some atheists come across as arrogant! :roll2:
Although I do agree with leaving "under god" out of the pledge.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:59 pm

Can Math Prove God's Existence?
Okay, so it's not exactly a coherent argument, but it is somewhat entertaining. Expanding the argument from [no god vs. god] to [no god vs. god vs. multiple gods vs. simulation] at least provides alternative hypotheses which are compelling. However, I don't see what math has to do with it. After all, the numbers are just thrown in there and are completely arbitrary. It's kind of a smoke and mirrors strategy and nothing more than a pseudo argument.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:27 am

Atheist Bitchslap :thumb:
From the end of the video: "Faith by definition is believing in things without evidence and personally I don't do that because I'm not an idiot."

BEST COMMENT:
When a person suffers a delusion, it is called insanity. When many people suffer the same delusion, it's called religion.

shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:46 am

It's not so much whether a person has faith or not. What matters most is what that faith is based upon. I have faith that the sun is going to come up tomorrow because it has every day that I've existed and others who I have trust in say the same thing. If I only believed it would because someone I trusted said so I would not believe it as strongly. So there must be different degrees of faith even though no one talks about it. When my parents told me about god and the bible my beliefs were questionable. When my aunt told me I questioned her as well and she told me the same thing as my parents did but she responded with a wink and I understood.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:42 am

surfsteve: I don't think your example of the sun is pertinent to religious faith. In the case of the sun we can predict the exact time of sunset and sunrise even though these two events do not happen at the same time on different days or at different locations. I'd say that's something we've collected pretty good empiracal evidence on. Faith is believing in something without evidence. I think your argument would be stronger if you could think of a better example.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:04 am

Good point. I suppose a better example might be believing that the sun wouldn't come up tomorrow base upon someone you trust telling you despite that it has every day. But then it still leads back to what you base your faith upon. I tend to base my faith upon science but even science can become political and lead one astray. I suppose at one time the priests were trusted because everything they said proved to be true but just like science they became political and began to lie either for the intended good of their followers or themselves.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sat May 06, 2017 7:52 am

Atheists force Pa. city to remove bench with 'God' quote
Tucker Carlson is a total jerk in this video. He keeps wanting to know the identity of the person who complained about the bench. The entire point about keeping that person anonymous is so that he or she doesn't get bullied (or worse) by Christian extremists. Every argument he makes in this video is flawed. It seems he's more worried about kissing the asses of Christian extremists than being fair-minded and impartial.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues