Moral Panics

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Moral Panics

Postby shadylady » Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:56 am

Lingerie ad too sexy for teens?
Typical moral outrage BS! This kind of commentary, featuring fake mental health experts, is just pure silliness. Any time you hear the word "self-esteem" it's a pretty good sign that the discussion is empty and devoid of any actual intellectual content. Pathetic and stupid!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:58 am

'Sex Issue' Shuts Down Entire College Newspaper :smack:
Strange over-reaction here. If this were a high school newspaper such action might be within the realm of reasonable, but this is a college newspaper! It might be time to replace the idiots running this college!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Wed May 08, 2013 10:36 am

John Walsh Talks About Warning Signs in Your Neighborhood
Hopefully the story of these three women being kidnapped as girls and held prisoner for a decade doesn't start some kind of moral panic regarding child abduction! The facts about child abduction are somewhat interesting. Out of the 750,000 children who are abducted each year, only 58,000 are abducted by someone outside the family. So, if you're going to start being suspicious of people's intentions, the people you should worry about are the people who are members of your family! So much for Family Values!!!
:smack:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed May 15, 2013 10:36 am

5 missing children myths :prof:
This is simply amazing. It almost never happens that the media acts in a responsible way when discussing child abuse. They usually do everything they can to hype the misinformation and to take advantage of paranoia in order to increase audience retention, especially when the topic has to do with child safety. In this clip they actually have a real expert present real information on the topic. Not only is it the case that abduction of children by strangers is extremely rare, it is also the case that it is extremely unlikely that a child is going to be in danger as a result of meeting someone on the internet. This would seem to be common sense, but the media has hyped both of these dangers for years and years, creating a false perception of danger where there is very little danger!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Jun 29, 2013 6:57 am

Teen Arrested for Sarcastic League of Legends Comment :mad2:
This is so disgustingly stupid that it's hard to believe that it's even possible. Legal authorities are supposed to be educated which means that they should understand things like sarcasm, figurative language, exaggeration, and other forms of non-literal expression. To pretend that this kid was serious and to charge him accordingly is the epitome of idiocy. It's this kind of idiocy that erodes the public's confidence in our legal system and which undermines the very foundation of our civilization. When people get into moral panic mode and start behaving like mindless zombies problems only get worse. I don't care what the issue is, moral panic mode is counter-productive! Quite frankly, I'd like to see legal authorities held accountable for this kind of action. They should lose their jobs and serve the sentence that they gave to the victim of their idiotic judgement.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CoolChick » Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:56 am

SSUSD, public respond to transgender laws
The problem is that often narrow-minded individuals wind up in positions of power and their inability to deal with reality winds up making things worse. People over-react to problems that just aren't that big of a deal. They think something awful is gonna happen when it just isn't so or if something bad does happen it's a rare and exceptional event. Fear and frustration? Over what? Children's safety my ass!!! What they fear is that kids will come home and start asking parents difficult questions. That's about the scariest thing likely to result from this kind of law. I'm not saying that the law was a good idea or that I agree with it, but "fear and frustration"? I don't think so!!!
:smack:
The board's reaction was fear and frustration; fear that the law would put students in danger and frustration that the bill was passed with little concern for children's safety. Members of the board had to amend their comments by saying they did not think transgender students should be feared or will cause harm, but they were fearful of the students who may, and probably will, take advantage of the law.

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/article/20130817/NEWS/130819793/1001/NEWS
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby shadylady » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:10 am

Dr. Phil's Scandalous Rape Tweet
I was going to post this under Social Media Blunders, but most of the points made fit better into this thread. Although the story is initially about a misinterpreted tweet, most of the discussion centers around people going off into the deep end. BTW, something that wasn't discussed is whether or not it's alright for a girl to take advantage of a drunk guy. Interesting how they failed to discuss that angle of the question.
:upset:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Fri Aug 23, 2013 7:26 am

Gay Cannibals Are Taking Over the Boy Scouts!
When people go over the edge and start making all sorts of crazy statements, most often they are projecting elements of their own demented personalities into others. I've thought about some of this moral panic stuff off and on ever since this thread first appeared and my conclusion is that people who obsess over what others might want to do only do so because they are projecting what they secretly want to do onto other people. After all, if they want to do it, then they need a scapegoat to attack so they can feel better about themselves. Most of the time the truly sick people are not the ones identified by society as sick and demented. Instead the truly sick people are those who spend their time obsessing over people they have labeled as sick and demented.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Tue Oct 01, 2013 8:33 am

Are these sexy selfies too far for kids? :roll2:
My first reaction? What's the big deal? Kids take pics and share them. Big freaking deal!!! This is a great example of how the news media takes a NON-PROBLEM and blows it way out of proportion. Kids are just participating with other kids and sharing silly pictures. There's nothing inappropriate here. It's just kids being kids. The real problem is people like the people in this news clip who see a problem where there is no problem. They claim that these pictures are provocative. Why? They're just pictures! It's unhealthy to obsess over trivial things like this.
BEST COMMENTS:
CNN is desperate for something to report. I think if they have nothing good, they should just take the day off.

Who gives a fuck...

The rise of the selfies!? Oh my go-o-o-o-o! whatever.

Every generation believes they have more morals than the last. If taking selfies is considered a low-point, then I have high hopes for these kids.

Why? Whats the point of not taking a picture of yourself? How does this improve society? This is the dumbest movement ive ever heard of, and it will fail miserably. If you want to protect your kids, teach them to be smart, dont try to ban selfies. "I DARE YOU". Get real.

Why is it so often the case that viewers are more intelligent than the people discussing a social issue in a news clip like this? Apparently it pays to be DUMB in Amerika!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Wed Oct 02, 2013 7:44 am

shadylady wrote:Why is it so often the case that viewers are more intelligent than the people discussing a social issue in a news clip like this? Apparently it pays to be DUMB in Amerika!

Good point! People who provide good information are boring and media news is all about attracting viewers and so they feature raving lunatics in order to hold the attention of an audience. This makes a lot of money, but there is also a lot of collateral damage in that the public winds up with a warped view of reality. The mommy blogger featured in this video presents a paranoid/obsessive perspective and treats a minor problem as if it's some kind of major social issue. Kids should use common sense and not go too far with their "selfies" but if they occasionally cross the line no one should get all bent out of shape about it. It's just not that big of a deal!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues