Corporate News Media

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Corporate News Media

Postby ergot » Tue Dec 25, 2018 7:36 am

Fake News of 2018: Fact checkers retracting their fact checks & so much more
When attempting to combat so-called "fake news" it's a good idea to tell the truth, otherwise you're just making FAKE NEWS!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:44 am

They Call This "News"
Interesting collection of "news" clips all focused on criticizing Trump instead of reporting the news. Definitely supports the contention that the corporate news media is a propaganda machine first and only incidentally and every now and then a collection of news organizations. The last clip features Al Sharpton mentioning Aretha Franklin and somehow managing to misspell "R-E-S-P-E-C-T" by substituting and "I" for the second "E" in the word. Amazing!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:21 am

NewsGuard: Who's behind yet another anti 'fake news' crusade?
Looks like this fake news detector has a liberal bias. I wonder what it's reliability rating should be.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 4:13 pm

MSM clash: CNN chief slams Fox as propaganda
Objectivity does not mean that everyone has to agree on something. Objectivity simply means that one looks at an issue in an open-minded, unbiased, and intelligent manner. It's very possible to be objective in the appraisal of just about anything. It doesn't happen very often that the news media is objective, but that doesn't mean that it's impossible to be objective. All it means is that a high percentage of the time people allow themselves to be close-minded, biased, and not all that intelligent.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:12 am

sandman: It is very possible for some humans to be objective, but it seems beyond the reach of most. To be objective it's necessary to be unemotional about an issue. Most people are incapable of being unemotional about a long list of issues. As long as one is emotionally attached to a certain point of view, one is incapable of rationally or objectively assessing the issue. Most of the time people advocate for a certain point of view and don't even attempt to objectively analyze an issue. That being said, how many times do you restart at square one everytime you discuss an issue? It's time-consuming and tedius to thoroughly discuss an issue everytime it comes up in conversation, but being too emotinoally attached to a certain point of view makes anything close to objectivity impossible.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:17 am

wildrose: The way I look at it no one is purely objective and no one is completely biased. It's a continuum. Some people are more capable than others of being objective and like you say, that mostly has to do with emotionality.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby desertrat » Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:14 am

Burnett: Trump embraced same word as suspected shooter
Here we have CNN distorting the news as usual. Trump did denounce white nationalism, but he put it into proper perspective at the same time. Trump also correctly characterized illegal immigration as an invasion, but CNN is using the massacre in New Zealand to attack Trump and looking for any weak excuse they can find to say something negative about him. They should probably just stick to reporting the news.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:47 am

PewDiePie, Mandela & others: Does being referenced by NZ mosque attacker make one culpable?
As we find out more about the 74-page manifesto, I'm sure more little gems like this will emerge. It's a pity that YouTube and other media outlets have gone to great lengths to suppress the video. Here's a link to the manifesto: https://katana17.wordpress.com/2019/03/15/the-great-replacement-manifesto-of-new-zealand-mosque-shooter-mar-2019/
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby drdesert » Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:18 am

I had a chance to skim through the manifesto yesterday. Perhaps most pertinent to this thread is the following quote:
VOTING IS MOB RULE AND MOB RULE IS MEDIA RULE AND MEDIA RULE IS CORPORATE RULE

I'm not going to go so far as to say that I agree with many points made in the manifesto, but what he said made a lot of sense and it's obvious that he thought about the issues carefully and reached many intelligent conclusions. To deny that is to fail to carefully consider the situation we are currently in.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:22 am

The manifesto was interesting and it's hard to argue with many of the points that he made. Just the same I can't condone violence. However, governments need to realize that allowing too many immigrants to enter the country is a huge mistake. Setting up a volatile situation where people feel it is necessary to resort to violence is something that should be avoided.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues