Crimea, Ukraine, Russia

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Crimea, Ukraine, Russia

Postby hungrybill » Sun Apr 06, 2014 8:15 am

TECTONIC SHIFT ALONG DNIEPER RIVER :stirpot:
This is a very analytical essay regarding the situation in Ukraine. After a discussion of recent events, the author suggests three possible scenarios with the following ultimate outcomes:
1) nuclear war in Eurasia
2) China emerging as single world superpower
3) USA splitting into four separate countries
I don't agree that any of these scenarios are likely, but they could be realistic worst-case scenarios that could unfold should the USA react stupidly to events in Ukraine.
Without taking sides and labeling who is on the right side of history at present, we would like to state the possible effects of the new split (along Dnieper River) on the future of Eurasia and rest of the world. Strategically Russia may need more space to defend and manage the acquired peninsula of Crimea, that means further expansion towards north and North West of Crimea; politically, Dnieper River with bulk of Russian speaking population living along its eastern side becomes a natural barrier on which the new Russian border could rest.

LINK: http://www.opinion-maker.org/2014/04/tectonic-shift-along-dnieper-river/
hungrybill
Greenhorn

Postby cactuspete » Mon Apr 07, 2014 6:48 am

hungrybill: I'd say that it's highly probable that Russia will wind up being invited to annex significant portions of Ukraine, but that the USA will just impose a few more meaningless sanctions and that will be the end of it. It's possible that other countries in eastern Europe will want to form closer alliances with Russia and a few may move more toward NATO, but I don't think that anything more will develop providing that Russia refrains from using military force without sufficient provocation to justify such a measure.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Mon Apr 07, 2014 4:47 pm

Activists declare independent Donetsk republic, seize local govt building
Region by region eastern Ukraine will break away from western Ukraine. Some of those regions will request to be annexed into Russia. It's happening and the USA can only watch. The USA got away with destabilizing Egypt and Libya, but things aren't working out according to plan in Ukraine. The power of Russia is too great and the people in Ukraine have a better alternative than aligning with the USA and NATO. Sometimes the arrogant wind up eating their words and paying for their misdeeds and this is one of those cases.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Texas: The American Crimea
I'm not sure if what happened between Texas, Mexico, and the USA in 1845-1846 applies to the Crimea, Ukraine, and Russia situation or not since it was so long ago, but there are many similarities. In any case, modern day Texans who are in favor of succession probably are watching events in Ukraine and wondering how they could get a mass movement underway! Probably won't happen, but you never know, stranger and less expected things have happened!
:stirpot:
After 96% of the inhabitants of Crimea voted in the referendum in favor of joining Russia, the USA and Europe demonstrated such a level of hypocrisy and double standard that any talks about a Western unbiased approach and respect to international law can provoke only a hearty laughter.

LINK: http://chersonandmolschky.com/2014/03/25/texas-american-crimea/
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:43 am

Looks like we're looking at a Red Spring with a whole bunch of people in the Ukraine signing their region up to become part of Russia. I'm sure the politicians here in the USA will have a hissy fit over it, but hopefully they won't do anything stupid!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Tue Apr 08, 2014 7:09 pm

The less Americans know where Ukraine is, the more they want US intervention - poll
No surprises here. The greater the level of ignorance, the greater the support for military intervention. BTW, there was another news clip on The Young Turks which reported the results of this same survey. My experience is that the most informed people regarding the situation support Russia's actions, while those who have a vague idea of what's going on based on reports from CNN, ABC, etc. think that Russia is acting aggressively. Many don't realize that Russia was invited by a 93% majority vote to annex Crimea. I'm not sure if people are lazy or if the news media here in the USA is doing a poor job (or possibly deliberately misinforming viewers), but the more you know about this situation, the more you side with Russia on this one!
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby desertrat » Wed Apr 09, 2014 6:55 am

pcslim: It all comes down to ignorance. That pretty much says it all, but the problem is that the news media is doing it's best to keep people that way. They stick to this weird Cold War plot line that has nothing to do with modern Russia and then they accuse Russia of trying to reignite the Cold War. It's bizarre, almost surrealistic, but that's what passes for news on this issue.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby hungrybill » Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:05 pm

Ukraine Media War: Fake content triggers big news
Lots of misinformation out there. It's hard to tell if the reporters are just lazy or if they're actually trying to mislead the public.
:smack:
hungrybill
Greenhorn

Postby a2z » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:25 pm

'We don't need Alaska, sold it once, have enough cold territories' - Putin
The Russians are calling Alaska "Ice Crimea" now! It would be pretty funny if they annexed Alaska, especially if they wound up with Sarah Palin in the process! In which case they'd probably give it back pretty quickly!
:laugh:
a2z
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:40 am

You made me laugh so hard I almost spewed my coffee. So the real reason the Russians don't want Alaska is because of Sara Palin? If an election were held. I don't think the Alaskans would vote to be annexed. Till I found out about Sara Palin I thought that was the real reason.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues