Free-Range Kids

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Free-Range Kids

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:59 pm

Free-range parents cited for child neglect :shrug:
Sounds like some kind of livestock term to me. I don't know why parents can't just raise kids they way they see fit!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Free-Range Kids

Postby wildrose » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:22 am

Standardization. Everything in this society is moving towards official, mandated standardization. You will raise your kids according to the recipe approved by the government, or else. We have fewer and fewer choices and more and more hoops we have to jump through. And if that's not enough they want to keep track of where we are at all times and who we interact with. It's just a big nanny state and we're just being herded along like good little sheeple.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:39 am

Kids need to be protected from danger, but sometimes they need to be protected from too much protection. I think parents should supervise their kids when in public and should never leave kids ten and under unsupervised. I think this is both for the protection of the kids and to make sure that their kids don't cause any trouble for other people. Kids can be pretty stupid and so parents need to be responsible and look after their kids as appropriate for the kids' maturity level.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:32 am

Being a parent is a lot more expensive than it used to be. There's more required and more restrictions. Child protective services is always ready to pounce in and take kids into custody if there's any accusation of abuse or neglect. The government has made being a parent even more of a hassle than it was when I was growing up. Car seats, helmets, etc. It all adds up. It's almost as if the government is trying to discourage people from having kids!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:34 am

twister: You're right the government is discouraging people from having kids. The problem is that the wrong people are being discouraged. Highly intelligent people are having fewer kids and people of low intelligence are having more. There are exceptions, but the overall trend is for the dumbies to have more kids and the inevitable result of that trend is an overall population that gradually becomes dumber and dumber with each new generation.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Apr 14, 2015 7:21 pm

Man walking his dog called cops on 'free-range' kids :wtf:
I wouldn't call the cops just because I saw a couple kids out unaccompanied in public, but then I don't automatically assume the world is coming to an end just because I hear the wind blowing...
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CrustyOldFart » Fri Apr 17, 2015 8:37 am

Geez!!! When I was a kid I was all over the place. My parents just told me to be home by a certain time. Otherwise I was anywhere I wanted to be. Kids today are so wussified that I don't see how they'll ever learn to cope in the real world as adults. They'll be looking for someone to take care of them and won't be able to fend for themselves. Of course the government is just fine with that since that way they can step in an make all the major decisions for the wusses and eventually corral them all up like a bunch of pathetic sheep. Like I said: GEEZ!!!!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CoolChick » Mon May 25, 2015 7:55 am

It’s A Mom’s Right To Decide Whether Her Kids Ride A Stranger’s Dog :dizzy:
This mom tells it like it is!!! :laugh:
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby tronagirl » Sat May 30, 2015 8:12 am

Breastfeeding Mom Vlog: Free Range Kids??
Interesting vlog style... :shrug:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:50 am

Parents Arrested For Leaving Child Home-Alone For 90 Minutes
CPS over-reaction is more traumatic than the supposed problem. The kids were fine until CPS got involved!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Return to News and Issues