Detecting Lies

Want to talk about something that doesn't fit into any other forum? This is the place to post your topic for discussion!

Re: Detecting Lies

Postby panamint_patty » Sun May 06, 2018 7:07 am

Lil Xan Takes A Lie Detector Test
It's a great prop for an entertaining video, but does it detect if someone is telling the truth? Not so much! Also I know that the protocol is pretty strict and not even close to what you see in this video! This is way too casual!!!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Mon Aug 06, 2018 6:31 am

Over the weekend I heard an interesting story about how the polygraph was wrong twice in a single investigation. A little girl claimed that a school janitor had molested her at her house while doing repairs for the family. So, detectives hooked the girl (who was six at the time of the alleged molestation and thirteen at the time of the polygraph examination) up to the lie detector and found that she was telling the truth. Next they hauled the janitor in and the lie detector found him to be deceptive. However, further investigation revealed that the janitor had not moved into the area and taken the job at the school until the girl was nearly eight. When a friend of the girl came forward with a story about the girl's uncle, it became apparent that the girl had a false memory where she confused the janitor with the uncle, possibly because it was less painful to believe that it was the uncle and to put the blame on the janitor. The janitor, of course, failed the polygraph test because he was fearful of losing his job. Needless to say, the janitor has filed lawsuits against the law enforcement department, the polygraph operator, and the polygraph company. Although he has been allowed to return to his duties as a janitor, he may not need that job anymore pending the outcome of the lawsuits.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pdm » Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:27 pm

All sorts of dumbshit news people talking about the lady who falsely accused Kavanaugh passing a polygraph test. Like that matters!!! Who dafuck takes lie detector tests seriously? Junk science without a doubt, but it's not surprising that dumbshit news people don't have the brains to figure it out!
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:00 am

Nothing Trump has done or legaly can do is doing as much damage to this country as the crooked press and the Dem's are doing right now. They lefts are as evil and dirty as ever right now.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:18 am

I agree. If I didn't know better Dem would stand for the demon party and this would all be a battle of good verses evil.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby ergot » Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:57 am

I say that lie detectors are better at detecting stupidity than lies. Take that any way you want!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby drdesert » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:39 am

ergot: That's pretty accurate, but as long as stupid criminals fall for the act, then I guess it's not the worst lie in the world. As much as I hate it when people believe in myths, I suppose sometimes it's not all bad.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby CactusHugger » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:12 am

Pseudo science is pseudo science and should not be treated as if it is something worthy of respect. We should not act as if there is any validity to claims that the polygraph is good for anything other than as a prop for entertainment purposes.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Thu Mar 28, 2019 6:58 am

Isn't global warming considered pseudo science by many?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby drdesert » Sun Apr 14, 2019 6:59 am

How 'Subjective Science' Infiltrated US Courts
The pattern we see here is once one idiot judge recognizes something as legitimate, the other mindless morons follow the leader. Very few judges have a strong scientific background. They do not think analytically when it comes to evidence. Instead they simply follow precedent. There's a lot of junk science that gets taken seriously at various levels in the criminal justice system and that's a major problem.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to News and Issues