Peak Bagging

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Peak Bagging

Postby desertrat » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:18 am

Nepalese Woman Climbs Everest Twice in Two Weeks
Not likely that anyone is going to break this record for quite some time, but any peak is a challenge and so feel free to post info on any peak or mountain range that strikes your fancy!
:thumb:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Peak Bagging

Postby wildrose » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:32 am

The Dolomites, Northern Italy
One of my dream vacations is to visit northern Italy and explore the Dolomites. I'm more than happy to take the gondola up to the tops of the peaks though! I'd like to do some hiking around, but I'll stick to the forests and along streams and that sort of thing.
:thumb:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:28 am

I've still never even climbed to the top of Argus Peak yet!

I've also wanted to climb to the top of the ridge across the valley from Pioneer point, above the white spot. (I don't know it's name). Mostly because it's nearly directly across from my house. I drove up to gold bottom and hiked up the mountain from there several times last year. I was by myself and would have made it to the top the last time. But I got cliffed out and it would have been dark by the time I back tracked and found another way up. So I had to go back. My goal is to be able to walk or run from my house, cross the valley, climb to the top and walk/run back.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:11 pm

New Zealand - The Southern Alps
A visit to the mountains of New Zealand is on my list. It's kind of an expensive trip and the airplane ride is kind of long, but I'm saving my money and learning about the area.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Fri Mar 01, 2013 9:48 pm

surfsteve wrote:I've still never even climbed to the top of Argus Peak yet!

I've also wanted to climb to the top of the ridge across the valley from Pioneer point, above the white spot. (I don't know it's name). Mostly because it's nearly directly across from my house. I drove up to gold bottom and hiked up the mountain from there several times last year. I was by myself and would have made it to the top the last time. But I got cliffed out and it would have been dark by the time I back tracked and found another way up. So I had to go back. My goal is to be able to walk or run from my house, cross the valley, climb to the top and walk/run back.

HINT: There's actually an old miner's trail that covers the last half mile or so to the white spot. Also it's almost as easy to start the hike from near the Ophir Mine (behind Valley Wells) as it is to start from the Gold Bottom Mine.

Check out the set from May 2006 on this page:
http://www.dvplants.com/SITES/GBOTTOM/
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:37 am

blackturtle.us wrote:
surfsteve wrote:I've still never even climbed to the top of Argus Peak yet!

HINT: There's actually an old miner's trail that covers the last half mile or so to the white spot. Also it's almost as easy to start the hike from near the Ophir Mine (behind Valley Wells) as it is to start from the Gold Bottom Mine.

Check out the set from May 2006 on this page:
http://www.dvplants.com/SITES/GBOTTOM/

I just did. I found this picture
Thumbnail Image
Is this what you are talking about? It doesn't look like the same white spot. There are actually two white areas visible from pioneer point. The one in your pictures looks like the one to the north. The one to the south is much smaller and a lot higher up. I've been way above that one looking down at it a good half a mile below me. The top of the peak was just a few hundred yards almost straight up. It looks like I will need to attack the peak from either side but I tried to get to it by climbing straight up the crevice which ends just before the top of the peak.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildbill » Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:27 am

Climbing Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania
Not sure what the cost for a trip like this would be, but Kilimanjaro would be one heck of a peak to bag!!!
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby panamint_patty » Mon May 20, 2013 7:38 am

First Saudi woman to scale Mt. Everest
Not exactly casual peak bagging... :cool2:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Thu May 30, 2013 7:08 am

Watch this guy jump off Mount Everest
This is more like extreme peak bagging or maybe peak de-bagging. Four days to climb up and one minute to fly down.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildbill » Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:28 am

Mount Everest by the numbers
A recent avalanche killed about a dozen people trying to get to the peak. How many were sherpas and how many were tourists is hard to say, but it's being called the deadliest day on Everest ever.
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Next

Return to Hiking and Exploring