Perceptions of Trona

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Trona Cemetery

Postby shadylady » Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:29 am

tronagirl: Yes that is quite interesting... perhaps even slightly odd! lol
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Perceptions of Trona

Postby deathvalleyjake » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:50 pm

Lost Lake
I saw something about this film in an earlier post, but I don't believe anyone has posted a link to the film website. It's not really all that interesting, but it is relevant. This sounds like one of those half-assed films that idiots who spend too much time in big cities might find interesting or intriguing or whatever!
:roll2:
After that first visit to Trona, we let the town show us what could happen next. We scouted and imagined how our storyline could change and grow based on the crazy world we had stumbled upon. In record time, we had a tight script for our movie and we started to crew up.

LINK: http://lostlakethefilm.com/origins.php
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:01 pm

The Horrors - So Now You Know
This is possibly the most impressive thing ever filmed in Trona. It starts at the top of Cedar Street, btw. I'm told that these guys just showed up and filmed it without a permit or an actual film crew. Nearly a half million views on YouTube so far since mid-April when it was posted.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CoolChick » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:26 am

blackturtle.us: Cool video. It looks like they used one of those remote control helicopter/hovercraft things for a lot of the parts of the video.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby cactuspete » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:00 am

blackturtle.us: My wife and I had a good time watching that video. We were able to identify all but a couple of the locations used in that video and those locations were backyard shots from what we could tell. It must be fun to shoot a video with one of those quadcopter gizmos!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:51 am

Just Add Water - Trailer
I know TronaGirl already posted this trailer, but this is a better version. This might actually be the worst movie ever made and it goes out of its way to smear this town. Here's part of the pitch to persuade people to go see the movie: "Welcome to Trona, California - a dead-end desert town for people with dead-end lives." Like TronaGirl says, there ought to be a way of filing a class action lawsuit for defamation!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:12 am

panamint_patty: Some people I know actually enjoyed that movie. Also lots of local people got to meet the actors and crew and they were all really nice. I don't think they meant to trash Trona. I think they were just trying to make a movie that people who go to movies alot would like.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:05 am

Actually you can sue anybody for anything. Winning any money is a different matter but just the action of filing a lawsuit would probably be well worth it in terms of collective personal satisfaction and publicity.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby drdesert » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:54 pm

surfsteve wrote:Actually you can sue anybody for anything. Winning any money is a different matter but just the action of filing a lawsuit would probably be well worth it in terms of collective personal satisfaction and publicity.

It's one thing to file a lawsuit and it's quite another thing to win a lawsuit and be awarded compensatory damages. Although technically you are correct if we define "suing someone" in an overly broad sense, but I think that most people equate "suing someone" with actually winning the lawsuit. Just a hunch, but I think that's how panamint_patty and tronagirl were using the term.
:pac:
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby tronagirl » Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:53 pm

drdesert wrote:
surfsteve wrote:Actually you can sue anybody for anything. Winning any money is a different matter but just the action of filing a lawsuit would probably be well worth it in terms of collective personal satisfaction and publicity.

It's one thing to file a lawsuit and it's quite another thing to win a lawsuit and be awarded compensatory damages. Although technically you are correct if we define "suing someone" in an overly broad sense, but I think that most people equate "suing someone" with actually winning the lawsuit. Just a hunch, but I think that's how panamint_patty and tronagirl were using the term.
:pac:

Good point. There's always a lawyer willing to take your money and file a lawsuit. The question is whether or not it's possible to win!!! :thumb:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Local News