Perceptions of Trona

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Perceptions of Trona

Postby James Sel » Mon Oct 06, 2014 10:00 am

drdesert wrote:
surfsteve wrote:Actually you can sue anybody for anything. Winning any money is a different matter but just the action of filing a lawsuit would probably be well worth it in terms of collective personal satisfaction and publicity.

It's one thing to file a lawsuit and it's quite another thing to win a lawsuit and be awarded compensatory damages. Although technically you are correct if we define "suing someone" in an overly broad sense, but I think that most people equate "suing someone" with actually winning the lawsuit. Just a hunch, but I think that's how panamint_patty and tronagirl were using the term.
:pac:

Steve is knows the importance of the real meaning of words. Discussing legal matters it is when it really matters.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildbill » Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:31 am

I wonder what the hundreds of people who visited Trona this last weekend thought of this little town. Did they make comments about how rundown the houses look and about the weird sulphur smell? Or did they find the remoteness and natural beauty of the area attractive? Anyone have a body count of how many visitors actually were here?
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:29 am

Should be a lot of people driving through town this weekend mostly on their way out to Panamint Valley. Hopefully lots stop to purchase food, gas, and supplies at local stores. It seems that Trona is offering more reliable services now than has been the case for years. Hopefully travelers take advantage of what's offered here in town!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:43 am

I agree. If they don't like our prices tell them to go back and buy from Ridgecrest like everyone else in Trona has to do! It would be nice if Walmart put one of them mini marts in. Seems like there is plenty of room behind Esparza's or somewhere.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:52 am

Trona was in a downward spiral for a long time, but it seems like things might be turning around some. There was a time we had no gas and now we have two gas stations. The stores as a whole are better stocked than they've ever been and sections of town are looking a lot nicer. There's still a lot of room for improvement, but it actually seems to me that things really are getting better!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:39 am

Anyone know what they're doing at the store in Trona? There's a fence around the parking lot and it appears that they're gutting the building. Someone told me that some kind of store is going in there, but what kind of store is likely to open out here?
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:53 am

twister: By now you've probably heard that it's a Dollar Tree store. They've done a lot of renovation so far. Hopefully it opens up within a couple months. It will be great to have a store like that in town.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:23 am

My bad! James Sel said in the Local Sites thread under Local History that it's going to be a Family Dollar store as opposed to a Dollar Tree or Dollar General. Either way the store is looking good and hopefully lots of people will pick up jobs there!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:22 am

tronagirl: I wouldn't feel too bad about being wrong if I were you. One way or the other it's a store with Dollar in it's name. One dollar is as good as another dollar as far as I'm concerned! Hopefully whatever it turns out to be it's successful and people are able to get jobs there.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Wed Oct 21, 2015 6:29 am

During the Homecoming and Gem and Mineral weekend I got a chance to visit with some people who hadn't been to Trona for a few years. They were shocked and mostly pleasantly surprised by all the change. Although they miss the old elementary site, they admitted that a deteriorating building was best gotten rid of. Also the Family Dollar Store was a big plus and the attractive wooden front on the hardware store was a big improvement. The bike path also got some positive comments. People who live here don't notice all the change since it takes place one little thing at a time, but people who come in from out of town after not being here for awhile really see the difference!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Local News