Saline Valley Hot Springs

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Postby shadylady » Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:45 pm

I came across this NY Times slideshow featuring images of the springs. Interestingly one of the claims made about the hot springs goes like this:
For years, knowledge about Saline Valley's hot springs, in the northwest corner of Death Valley National Park, was passed on by word of mouth. Getting there is still a challenge worthy of Indiana Jones.

That's a bit of an exaggeration, but I suppose it's just typical newspaper rhetoric to make things sound more exciting than they really are.
Thumbnail Image
LINK: http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2009/02/06/travel/escapes/0206-saline_index.html
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Saline Valley Hot Springs

Postby tronagirl » Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:35 am

Just a couple interesting websites:
:pac:
SALINE VALLEY TALK: http://forum.salinepreservation.org/
Memoirs of Saline Valley: http://www.salinevalley.net/
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby CactusHugger » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:42 pm

Saline Valley Hotsprings, Death Valley CA
Nice video showing some of the stuff at the hot springs and the scenery around the area!

Video updated... previous video no longer available.
Last edited by CactusHugger on Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby desertrat » Sun Aug 11, 2013 7:13 am

From what I hear the new Death Valley plan might mean the end of the tubs and other fun stuff at the hot springs in Saline Valley. Although not specifically mentioned, the plan calls for all springs to be returned to their natural state. It may be that that hot springs in Saline Valley will be an exception, but that's not stated in the new plan either. It may be necessary for people who enjoy the hot springs to be rather vocal and to make sure that those in charge of DVNP understand their wishes.
:4x4:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:30 am

Actually there is a separate plan for Saline Valley. Although the hot springs are within the boundaries of the park, there is a plan which deals with them specifically. That makes sense since Saline Valley is what you might call a unique place in a number of ways.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:23 am

Right around now is a great time to visit Saline Valley. Not too hot during the day and nice and cool at night. Great sleeping weather and not bad for soaking in a tub of hot water with a view of the Inyos either!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:52 am

I've always wanted to soak in the hot springs while there was snow on the Inyos. I've soaked in the hot springs and I've seen snow on the Inyos, but not both at the same time. Definitely on my to do list!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:21 am

Saline Valley Guys
This website has some useful information about Saline Valley. Not sure if they have taken into consideration recent road damage, but they have this to say:
Situated at the northern end of Death Valley national park, Saline Valley has long been a nudists' paradise with its warm nights, zero humidity, lush lawns and palms, and minimal enhancements. it's a long but easy ride over dirt/gravel roads: allow at least three hours to arrive at the springs once you leave the paved road, coming from either the north or south route.

LINK: http://www.salinevalleyguys.com/
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:31 am

There are usually some big gatherings at the springs during February. Anyone get out there for one of the holiday weekends? I've heard that sometimes in excess of a couple hundred people will be camped at the two lower springs. Sometimes people even fly in and the partying can be pretty fun too.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby wildbill » Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:12 am

BallaratBob: Yep, there can be some pretty crowded weekends and February might possibly be the most crowded month although I'm not sure if anyone actually keeps count and so it might be impossible to know for sure. One thing I can tell you for sure is that it ain't very crowded in July or August!
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Next

Return to Hiking and Exploring