Briggs Cabin

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Briggs Cabin

Postby CactusHugger » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:25 am

Anyone have any info on the Briggs Cabin? I heard that it's a really nice place located in one of the canyons in the Panamints. I also heard something about a bridge that you have to go on to get to it. Is this place as good as they say it is? Also I heard that there's actually two cabins right next to each other, but one is nicer than the other. Do I need 4x4 to get there or can I get there in a regular truck?
:4x4:
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Briggs Cabin

Postby MojaveMike » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:03 pm

The cabins are located in South Park Canyon. You can drive up South Park Canyon on a road that starts a few miles south of Ballarat. Before the bridge was "closed" by the BLM it was possible to drive up Pleasant Canyon and then down South Park to the cabin. The bridge is still open to quads, but it's considered too weak to hold full-sized vehicles. As for driving up South Park in a two-wheel drive truck, I'd say that it's possible, but not something I'd recommend. It would be better to have 4x4 and high clearance. The Brigg's Cabin(s) is/are pretty popular and likely to be occupied most weekends. So, don't plan on being able to stay the night.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:14 am

Better get their soon. Idiots like this guy are doing their best to burn it down ASAP!!! :curse:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:19 am

cactuspete wrote:Better get their soon. Idiots like this guy are doing their best to burn it down ASAP!!! :curse:

Won't be the first cabin to be burnt down in the Panamints or elsewhere in and around Death Valley! Pyros just love playing with fire in the middle of the desert. They get a little drunk and the next thing you know a cabin has been burnt down to the ground. Happens all the time!
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby James Sel » Sun Jun 30, 2013 11:52 am

cactuspete wrote:Better get their soon. Idiots like this guy are doing their best to burn it down ASAP!!! :curse:

..........filming bad habits. If that guy every has a problem with out of control fires; I hope it cause he splashed gas on himself.

By no means will a two wheel drive truck make it up that canyon. The road is not what it once was. ...........your welcome to try but know how to get unstuck so you can drive back. The cabins are occupied almost all weekend any commonly in the week peak of summer is the best chance to find one open. There are other easier places to get to all over that desert area. :4x4:
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby whiskeypete » Wed Nov 06, 2013 9:10 am

From what I've heard there are a lot of people who stay in this cabin and sometimes there's a little bit of a confrontation between those who wish to stay the night. There's rumors of some hotheads who pack heat everytime they go up there just in case someone gives them a hard time. Not sure how far they'd be willing to go, but it doesn't sound like a good situation. Of course, there is the second cabin that's not quite as nice, but not all that bad either.
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby BoraxBill » Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:26 am

This time of the year all the cabins in Panamint Valley get a lot of use. There's also usually a ton of people camping down in the valley and that includes both people in tents and people in campers. I saw several jeeps and RVs rolling through town today. I'm sure someone already is in Briggs and plans to stay through Monday since this weekend is a three day weekend for most people.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby James Sel » Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:46 am

There will be more It's Panamint Valley Days this weekend. I have a group od six staying at my place to night and we'll be headed out in the morning. :4x4:
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrfish » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:52 am

Even more people coming through town today! I expect that there will be an increased number tomorrow. Hopefully all the visitors will help out local businesses. Also hopefully all the people out driving around in the desert will help improve the condition of local dirt roads!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildbill » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:21 am

Any info about the bridge above Briggs? I heard that it's officially closed to full-sized vehicles, but that some people are driving across it anyways. Are there plans to repair it or is the loop going to remain officially closed?
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Next

Return to Hiking and Exploring