Dancing on a Dry Lake

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Dancing on a Dry Lake

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:11 am

Dancing on a Dry Salt Lake, film by Dominique De Fazio TRAILER
Interesting project, but the concept sounds like one of those wannabe spiritual quests which fail horribly. Stories built around naive notions of mysticism can be a bit awkward and you kind of wind up feeling embarrassed for everyone involved in the project as you watch it and roll your eyes, cringe, and do your best to restrain chuckles. Oh well, the movie hasn't been released since they haven't received enough donations to fund distribution. If you feel like helping out you can probably go to one of those sites like Kickstarter, but I think I'll save my money for a more worthwhile project!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Dancing on a Dry Lake

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Dec 27, 2013 8:17 am

Trona Remix - Behind the scenes... :roll2:
Apparently this is a collection of outtakes from the project. It's a cheesy video, but it relates to my previous post.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BoraxBill » Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:28 am

There is a list of awards won by this film on the website, but they all sound kind of bogus to me. I'm sure they're not actually fictitious awards, but it sounds like they were awarded by extremely small organizations probably composed of the producer/director's friends. Also the movie has supposedly been released and was shown in Los Angeles on December 18th at a single location. They call this a GALA OPENING on the website, but I'm pretty sure it was a nice get together attended almost exclusively by those who worked on the film. It sounds like a lot of work went into the film, but it also sounds like it's not the kind of thing that I would want to watch.
"In the Mojave Desert, NASA has an observatory that looks far into the distance of space, back in time, toward the Origin. There is a Native American claim that the Origin of the Universe happened on the ground, in the same Mojave Desert. I went there. I worked there, I wandered there, and I waited to hear. This special, sacred desert place holds the story of Dancing On a Dry Salt Lake. It is a serious comedy … about enlightenment.”

FILM WEBSITE: http://www.dancingonadrysaltlake.com/
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby deathvalleyjake » Sat Dec 28, 2013 8:44 am

Why are all the films they make in Trona always duds?!! "Just Add Water" was just one big joke and this one looks even worse. I realize that Searles Valley is a bit out of the way, but geez!!!! Of course, houses are cheap here and so it seems reasonable that low budget film projects would wind up being shot where it's easy to keep the budget low. But low budget doesn't have to mean low quality too!
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby hungrybill » Wed May 28, 2014 8:19 am

It's not likely that Trona will ever be the location of a major blockbuster. The Pinnacles maybe, but not Trona as in the town. People who film in Trona are likely to have half-baked ideas and very low budgets. Don't expect anything awesome with those ingredients!
hungrybill
Greenhorn

Postby James Sel » Thu May 29, 2014 12:28 am

hungrybill wrote:It's not likely that Trona will ever be the location of a major blockbuster. The Pinnacles maybe, but not Trona as in the town. People who film in Trona are likely to have half-baked ideas and very low budgets. Don't expect anything awesome with those ingredients!

I don't know here are a couple of near misses

James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Re: Major Blockbusters

Postby panamint_patty » Fri May 30, 2014 8:11 am

James Sel: Those are funny clips, but I don't think one minute videos would be considered blockbusters even if they went viral. At 31k and 2k, respectively, I don't think there's any danger of those videos even attaining viral status. But they are funny just the same in a weird kind of way.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Major Blockbusters

Postby James Sel » Fri May 30, 2014 12:36 pm

panamint_patty wrote:James Sel: Those are funny clips, but I don't think one minute videos would be considered blockbusters even if they went viral. At 31k and 2k, respectively, I don't think there's any danger of those videos even attaining viral status. But they are funny just the same in a weird kind of way.

I'm just trying to express potential
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Return to Hiking and Exploring