Donkey Trails

Share info and ask questions about great places to hike throughout the Death Valley and adjacent areas!

Re: Donkey Trails

Postby blackturtle.us » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:06 pm

WET FORK WATER CANYON
This is easily the wettest canyon on the Panamint Valley side of the Argus Range. Without a doubt the longest running stream in any canyon. The hike was a ten-mile lollypop loop with 2260 feet gain/loss.
blackturtle.us
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:41 am

blackturtle.us: I'm going to beat BallaratBob this time. 2260 feet? That's STEEP AS FUCK!!! Actually it appears to be almost flat through the wash, but then it looks like you take off into steeper terrain. I've driven by that canyon on the highway many times, but I've never ventured off on foot. Sounds like an interesting area and hiking like that has to be excellent exercise!
shadylady
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby BallaratBob » Tue Feb 27, 2018 9:22 am

shadylady: LOL Yes, that hike has parts that qualify as STEEP AS FUCK. Just a quick look at the contour lines makes that much clear. I explored that area a bit back a few years ago before the BLM closed it down. That road heading off to the northwest on the map goes back pretty deep and almost gets you to Shepherd Canyon. Lots of history there!
BallaratBob
Backcountry Hiker

Previous

Return to Hiking and Exploring