Useful Weeds

Share native plant sightings, info about plants that grow in the Death Valley area, or ask questions about wild desert plants here.

Re: Useful Weeds

Postby Cactus Jack » Fri Jan 25, 2019 7:11 am

I'm not an environazi, hippie, tree-hugger, but I'm not one of those people who would use chemicals to kill weeds either. That 1950s mentality has caused many medical issues for many people over the last several decades. I'm more of a live and let live kind of person. Also I like to keep it real and natural.
Cactus Jack
Greenhorn

Postby twister » Fri Jan 25, 2019 8:52 am

THE ONLY GOOD WEED IS A DEAD WEED! That's not exactly a slogan I believe in, but I figured I'd throw that one out there. I like your REAL AND NATURAL attitude Cactus Jack and I agree it's best not to be an extremist of any kind. As for weeds, we wouldn't be here without them.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby shadylady » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:27 am

Someone else wrote that she can tell the difference between a wildflower and a weed and that the difference has to do with the attractiveness of the flower. To that I say fair enough, but I would add that all plants are beautiful in their own way. Which doesn't mean that we should just allow things to grow indiscriminantly, but that we should appreciate the beauty that Mother Nature provides for us.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Thu Apr 18, 2019 7:11 am

The Garden Gurus - Edible Weeds
Many parts are edible...
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:37 am

I know some people think that foraging for edible plants is a good thing, but to me it's kind of lame. I suppose the info could be helpful in a survival situation, but when it comes to the desert it would be downright impossible to survive off of the plants that grow below around 5000 feet. Also in general wild plants are not as healthy as domesticated plants.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:12 am

panamint_patty: That sounds like something from the hippie days. Lots of braindead morons back then. They thought that it was natural or something about getting in touch with nature. Foraging in the desert won't get you too far that's for sure and think of the animals. They have it hard enough without you stealing their food!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Thu Nov 28, 2019 7:29 am

Mullein leaf and Mullien Flower with Susun Weed
Not sure if I'd actually use any of these medicinal concoctions, but this is an interesting presentation.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:52 pm

The Magic of Mullein
This plant was not around before Europeans came to North America. So although it may be a useful weed, it didn't do Native Americans much good since there wasn't any around until sometime after 1492.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed May 27, 2020 7:32 am

The Properties of Mullein
More information about cowboy toilet paper!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shotgunmary » Mon Jun 22, 2020 3:56 pm

13 Plants That Repel Flies
The list includes sweet basil, bay laurel, lavender, tansy, rosemary, mint, pennyroyal, wormwood, citronella grass, sweet woodruff, eucalyptus, catnip, and rue. My favorite from the list is tansy.
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/320/
Tansy is a simple and pretty plant to grow, but it can be toxic when consumed in large quantities. There have been reports of livestock falling sick and even dying after eating large quantities of the plant. Because tansy reproduces through it’s roots, be sure to keep it in a contained area if you have any worries about it getting into livestock fields.

https://www.backyardboss.net/plants-that-repel-flies/
shotgunmary
Fleabitten Varmint

PreviousNext

Return to Native Plants Information