TJUSD Board Meeting - June 14, 2018

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - June 14, 2018

Postby shadylady » Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:19 am

Fifth Circuit Says No, You Fucking May Not Strip Search A Class Full Of Female Students To Find $50
While I don't condone strip-searching school children, I do think this is a shrill, over-reaction and dysfunctional exaggeration of the "trauma" associated with such a search.
During a sixth-grade choir class, an assistant principal allegedly ordered a mass, suspicionless strip search of the underwear of twenty-two preteen girls. When no money turned up, the school police officer “suggested that girls like to hide things in their bras and panties.” Higgins took all twenty-two girls in the choir class to the female school nurse, who strip searched them, taking them one at a time into a bathroom, where she “check[ed] around the waistband of [their] panties,” loosened their bras, and checked “under their shirts.” The girls “were made to lift their shirts so they were exposed from the shoulder to the waist.”

LINK: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180628/16330840134/fifth-circuit-says-no-you-fucking-may-not-strip-search-classful-female-students-to-find-50.shtml
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pdm » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:00 am

shadylady: For special snowflakes everything is traumatic. There was a time when the whole group would have been told to strip bare ass naked on the spot and the cop and VP would have searched the clothes while the entire naked class stood at attention. Anyone who whined or whimpered would get a paddling across the bare ass! Traumatic? Nothing to see here folks!
:roll2:
pdm
Cantankerous Mule

Postby drdesert » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:10 am

pdm wrote:shadylady: For special snowflakes everything is traumatic. There was a time when the whole group would have been told to strip bare ass naked on the spot and the cop and VP would have searched the clothes while the entire naked class stood at attention. Anyone who whined or whimpered would get a paddling across the bare ass! Traumatic? Nothing to see here folks!
:roll2:

To some extent you're correct, but it was never quite like that. Close, but not to that extreme. Acknowledging that, I must add that I would not stand for any of my grandchildren being treated that way. I would demand justice and expect a full explanation for the actions taken and dismissal of personnel who acted inappropriately. Kids are pampered too much today, but that doesn't mean that they should be mistreated just to toughen them up.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby shadylady » Fri Jul 06, 2018 7:44 am

drdesert: I hear what you're saying, but I think you're part of the problem. A strip search should not be something that causes trauma and it wouldn't cause trauma to people who are comfortable with their bodies. People are way too uptight about nudity. Change that and a strip search is not seen as invasive. I'm not saying that strip searches should be taken lightly, but they shouldn't be over-dramatized either.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Strip Searches

Postby cactuspete » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:34 am

shadylady: Strip searches should only be allowed in extreme situations and the parents should be contacted before such a procedure is employed. I know that sometimes parents can make a problem worse, but ultimately they should be contacted before any kind of strip search. Of course, school administrators should not be the ones to decide to take that course of action. They should call law enforcement and trained officers should take care of the situation from there. It may prolong the difficult situation and seem like a waste of time, but it might also avoid a lawsuit.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:45 am

Secret Service issues shooting prevention guide
Nothing surprising here, but these guidelines will probably be fairly influential.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sun Jul 15, 2018 7:12 am

How exactly does binary code work?
This is an excellent introductory lesson on binary code that even a very young student will be able to understand.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:34 am

Spoiler: The answer to part b of this Amazon math problem will have you going duh. I think maybe if I had just read the text to the question and then told that the answer was very simple that I would have gotten it but instead I was suckered in by the video and the diagram in it, thinking it was a trick question and that there was no concrete answer because it depended upon the stiffness of the wire. Though assuming the cable was pulled tight, the answer to part A requires considerably more thought and mathematical skills that I never bothered learning.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:02 am

U.S. spending on America's children is falling
Our country should do much better when it comes to investing in our future!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Thu Jul 26, 2018 6:41 am

Student punished for 'Trump border wall' shirt, wins $25K settlement
Score a win for the First Amendment! News for school administrators: Your School Dress Code policy does not TRUMP the First Amendment!
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News