Wild Horses and Donkeys

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: Wild Horses and Donkeys

Postby desertrat » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:09 am

This sounds like a job for the Galloping Gourmet! I can almost smell the horsey burgers sizzling on the BBQ now. Good eating!!!
:laugh:
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:55 am

What's next; horse lamp shades and bars of soap made out of them?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:08 am

Pets: It's What's For Dinner? :eek:
Guinea pigs for dinner? Well, I suppose they wouldn't be THAT much different from rabbits! I guess if enough of my friends tried it and said they liked it that I MIGHT give it a try!
:dizzy:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:07 am

Guinea Pig - It's What's For Dinner??
An animal is an animal and so if we eat cows then there's no reason not to eat a horse, dog, cat... or a Guinea pig!!!
:yum2:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:08 am

Replies to Guinea Pig - It's What's For Dinner?? Posted by ShadyLady
First we have the typical shit for brains kind of comment that some person stuck in the generally acceptable mode of thinking might leave:
If an animal has some kind of intelligence then you shouldn't eat it. how is that not logical enough for you? Do you see Cows playing catch and running up to you when you've been gone for a while? Have you seen Chickens play? those animals are stupid and have no intelligence, they're only purpose is to feed US the superior species.

In response we have the kind of comment that someone who actually thinks and doesn't just parrot the common "wisdom" produces:
"If an animal has some kind of intelligence then you shouldn't eat it". Don't cows and chickens have "some kind of intelligence"?

Also, what does domestication and showing emotions have to do with intelligence? A horse or an elephant won't play catch with you, yet they have been shown to be more intelligent than dogs.

Nevertheless, since you make it about intelligence, are you willing to dispose of severely mentally retarded humans?

There most likely is a gap of about 40 IQ points between these two individuals! It's like night and day. In fact, I'd say if we applied the first person's logic to the first person, then the first person should be eaten by US the superior species!!!
:dizzy:
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:10 am

Went out with some friends this weekend and explored around Panamint Valley most of a day. We kept count of all the donkeys we saw and if I recall correctly the grand total was 19. The largest group we saw all together at one time was 7.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:33 am

wildrose wrote:BLM tightens rules on wild horse adoptions
Interesting information for those who care about wild horses and burros!
The policy stipulates that: No more than four wild horses and/or wild burros may be bought by an individual or group within a six-month period from the BLM without prior approval of the Bureau’s Assistant Director for Renewable Resources and Planning.

LINK: http://pvtimes.com/news/blm-tightens-rules-on-wild-horse-adoptions/

What exactly do they mean by "wild horse adoption"? Isn't that an oxymoron? It seems like wild horses should be on the endangered species list and that they are actually being eradicated from open spaces.
Look what happens when you google wild horse eradication . The thought of all of the wild horses being rounded up into concentration camps until they die unless they are lucky enough to be adopted doesn't make me very happy. What gives?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:56 am

‘Keeper’ Dick Senior talks about horses, water and misconceptions
This is an interview with a guy named Dick Senior who is also known as the “Keeper of the Wheeler Well.” He observes and watches over some wild horses over in the Pahrump area. He's in favor of allowing the wild horses to continue to roam the area although there is some opposition to allowing the horses to stay in the area. In the interview he presents his side of the issue and if you read between the lines it's fairly clear how the other side feels about the matter.
Q: Is the Forest Service more accurate with their counts than the BLM?

A: These two are working together, so no. One rubs the other one’s back. They both work for the government and they both want to keep their jobs. That is the way they do things with the horses. It takes $700 to catch each horse. That is what it costs. They are proposing to put them in a corral and take the ovaries out of the females and then let them go. We ask them if any of them died and they would say, “We let them go and have not seen them.” They don’t know because they don’t watch them. It seems like the BLM and the Forest Service will always inflate their count.

LINK: http://pvtimes.com/community/%E2%80%98keeper%E2%80%99-dick-senior-talks-about-horses-water-and-misconceptions.html
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CoolChick » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:24 pm

California's drought hurting its horses
This is mostly about a guy who is unable to feed his horses and so he's giving them away to good homes rather than selling them to slaughter houses. I'd imagine that wild horses and donkeys are having a hard time finding food too.
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby CactusHugger » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:11 am

CoolChick: The guy should really be less sentimental and sell the darn horses so he can pay his bills. Big deal if the horses get sold to a slaughter house! They'll be good eating for someone somewhere or maybe they'll just wind up as pet food, but at least they'll be good for something!
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature