Valley Fever

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Valley Fever

Postby tronagirl » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:12 am

Apparently concern over Valley Fever is increasing and so I looked up some info about the disease. The fancy name is Coccidioidomycosis and it's a fungus found naturally in the soil throughout southern California and Arizona. Dirt bike riding is one of the most dangerous activities in this area since it kicks up a lot of dust. Dust storms aren't that big of a deal since the dust from dust storms is from the surface of the soil. Dirt bikes and quads dig into the soil where the fungus lives and shoot it into the air. People infected by Valley Fever are likely to require hospitalization and some even die. Most people who get the disease suffer with it for months and sometimes years. It's no joke!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:14 am

tronagirl: I noticed a sign on the way into Ridgecrest warning about the dangers of valley fever. It's been a problem in Kern County especially for decades. It's also common in Inyo and San Bernardino counties. I've read that people who live near areas where there is a lot of ATV activity are especially at risk as you point out. If I lived in that situation I would want law enforcement to put an end to all such activity within a mile of my house! Actually, come to think of it there probably is some such activity within a mile of my house. I should probably call the BLM to see what the heck they are doing about the problem!
panamint_patty
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Fri Jun 22, 2018 7:27 am

Signs that your pet might have valley fever
If your pet can get it, then you can get it, although dogs digging around in the dirt are especially susceptible.
cactuspete
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Local News