Death Valley News

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Death Valley News

Postby ergot » Sat May 14, 2016 8:00 pm

Skinny-dipper kills rare fish? :curse:
Put the pathetic bastards away for at least ten years each!
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BoraxBill » Wed May 18, 2016 7:34 am

ergot: I wouldn't be against lynching the bastards! Not only did these guys desecrate a national treasure, but they were incredibly stupid about the way they went about it. The world would be better off without such idiots!
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby James Sel » Wed May 18, 2016 9:12 am

James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby panamint_patty » Thu May 19, 2016 7:51 am

It's good to hear that the three idiots face felony charges and that they won't get away with their reckless actions. The list of items they shot up or otherwise destroyed is pretty long and it sounds like they're not likely to have much money and so they'll probably wind up in prison to pay for their crimes since there's no point in fining them to gain restitution. All three were residents of Nevada, living in Pahrump, Las Vegas, and Indian Springs.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Fri May 20, 2016 7:44 am

I have no patience for idiots who vandalize public property like this. Whether it's off-road nuts tearing up the the desert or idiots like these three halfwits, I'd like to see the whole bunch put away and be relieved of their assets. There's no place for people who desecrate national treasures except for prison as far as I'm concerned.
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BoraxBill » Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:54 am

Death Valley's Famed Racetrack Playa Vandalized By Illegal Driving
This kind of news is really disheartening. The type of scum that would do something like this deserves to be put away for life. This is the kind of thing that would persuade me to be in favor of surveillance cameras throughout the park.
“It seems the worst kind of people have recently visited the Racetrack,” Lawson wrote in a post on PetaPixel. “They were thorough in defacing one of the most unique places on Earth. Photographic compositions will be ruined here for years. Experiences will be marred by tire tracks next to rock tracks.”

LINK: https://weather.com/news/news/racetrack-playa-death-valley-national-park-vehicle-tracks-vandalism
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby deathvalleyjake » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:24 am

BoraxBill: Surveillance might be justified in certain sensitive areas such as the Racetrack. Also monitoring entry points with cameras might not be a bad idea. It's unfortunate that it's come to this, but events like this actually cause me to think that identification chips inside vehicles might not be a bad idea. That way the location of any given vehicle could be tracked and any vehicle without a chip that went by a sensor would automatically get tracked down. It's very sad that there are people who ruin things for everyone else.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby BallaratBob » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:46 am

Investigators think they know who tore up Death Valley's fragile Racetrack Playa in an SUV
Hopefully they catch the POC responsible for this destructive act!
Federal investigators have identified a suspect believed responsible for a frenzy of high-speed driving across “Racetrack Playa,” a remote dry lake in Death Valley National Park, officials said Tuesday. Spinning and swerving wildly in an SUV in early August, the suspect allegedly cut 10 miles’ worth of ruts into the playa.

LINK: http://www.latimes.com/local/california/la-me-death-valley-damage-20160927-snap-story.html
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby mrfish » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:21 am

BallaratBob: There's that POC acronym again. I've had this discussion at least three times in the last month. Does it mean Piece Of Crap or Person Of Color? I'm pretty sure that in this context it means Piece Of Crap, but it's certainly an unlucky coincidence that POC has two meanings, one of which is very insulting.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby BallaratBob » Tue Oct 04, 2016 8:13 am

mrfish: POC the way I used it stands for piece of crap. I've had that discussion a few times too and a couple times with people who were racist who didn't think it mattered. To be honest I'd be willing to bet the perp in this case was a white guy or maybe a hispanic guy, but almost for sure not a black or asian person. Almost for sure a male too. I'll be shocked beyond belief if it turns out to be a black woman!
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

PreviousNext

Return to Local News