Death Valley News

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Death Valley News

Postby dustdevil » Tue Feb 24, 2015 7:19 am

January Jones: I heard that this guy fired several shots and so it's not clear whether or not this was an actual suicide. Usually with a suicide a single shot is all that is required. It's possible that he was just making sure that the gun was working before doing himself in, but it's also possible that a bullet bounced off a rock, although that would be one heck of a freak accident. So, it's probably reasonable to conclude that it was a suicide, but it's impossible to be absolutely sure.
dustdevil
Greenhorn

Postby dzrtdwg » Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:53 am

1986 Saline Valley Double Murder Cold Case
The couple was camped at Saline Valley Hot Springs in January 1886. They went missing and their remains were found nearly three years later about seven miles northeast of the hot springs.
The skeletal remains of a Goleta couple missing for nearly three years have been found in a shallow grave in a remote area about 40 miles east of Lone Pine in Inyo County, authorities said Tuesday. Barry Berman, 36, and his wife, Louise, 52, were identified in Bishop through dental records. They disappeared in January, 1986, in Saline Valley, a rocky 12-mile-long corridor between the White Mountains and the boundary of Death Valley National Monument. The remains showed no obvious signs of violence, according to Sheriff's Lt. Jack Goodrich, but he said, "Our opinion is that it's foul play."

A Couple Disappear in Bermuda Triangle of Death Valley
December 21, 1986
http://articles.latimes.com/1986-12-21/news/vw-3821_1_furnace-creek-inn

Remains of Long-Missing Couple Found in Desert
November 16, 1988
http://articles.latimes.com/1988-11-16/news/mn-305_1_couple-found

A 1986 Double Murder Cold Case in the Mojave Desert Is Finally Unraveling
March 10, 2015
http://www.laweekly.com/news/a-1986-double-murder-cold-case-in-the-mojave-desert-is-finally-unraveling-5425603
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

Postby CoolChick » Fri Apr 03, 2015 6:38 am

dzrtdwg: You said that a "couple was camped at Saline Valley Hot Springs in January 1886" and I think you were off by a century! Funny typographical error! I think most people are smart enough to realize that you meant 1986, but there probably are a few dummies out there who couldn't figure that one out! LOL
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby deathvalleyjake » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:50 pm

Death Valley Is Award-Winningly Dark :smart:
Ever hear of "gegenschein"? Well, DVNP is the place to go if you want to see it for yourself! Probably Searles Valley will work too once you get a few miles away from town.
But with the ever-constant creep of light pollution, maintaining the darkness is not an easy task. Since the designation, the park's employees have been focusing on how to make the park even darker.

LINK: http://www.kcet.org/living/travel/socal_wanderer/national-park/death-valley-dark-sky-gegenschein.html
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby deathvalleyjake » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:54 pm

New DVNP Superintendent: Mike Reynolds
There's a new guy in charge of the largest national park in the USA. Hopefully he can get Trona-Wildrose Road fixed! If he does that much I'll consider him a success!!! (The last superintendent was a joke. She did next to nothing and pissed a lot of people off in the process!)
Reynolds, 45, ... takes over at Death Valley, where he served as a ranger from 2000 to 2004, May 31. In his new position, he will manage a staff of 125 full-time employees and oversee an annual budget of nearly $9 million.

LINK: http://www.heraldandnews.com/news/local_news/basin_outdoors/lava-beds-manager-moving-on/article_b3a4b924-e00d-11e4-8c58-db8efa8c3e83.html
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildbill » Tue Apr 21, 2015 6:23 am

New Superintendent: The current superintendent has allowed the park to deteriorate horribly. It could be that the budget was cut, but there's no excuse for allowing Trona-Wildrose Road to go unrepaired for so long! That's partially Inyo County's fault, but a good superintendent would have gotten on them to do their share of the work. Hopefully the new superintendent will be able to work with the county to get things done!
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Re: New Superintendent

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed May 06, 2015 8:45 am

There are a lot of things that need to get straightened out in DVNP. I'd say that Trona-Wildrose Road is the number one priority and that the Keane Wonder Mine is the second most important problem that needs solving. More back country access would also be a good thing. Too many roads have been closed in recent years.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby James Sel » Wed May 06, 2015 6:46 pm

CrustyOldFart wrote:There are a lot of things that need to get straightened out in DVNP. I'd say that Trona-Wildrose Road is the number one priority and that the Keane Wonder Mine is the second most important problem that needs solving. More back country access would also be a good thing. Too many roads have been closed in recent years.

Trail Pass.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby deathvalleyjake » Fri May 15, 2015 8:23 am

Yep, Trail Pass (aka, the road leading down into Trail Canyon) should be repaired and reopened. But Keane Wonder Mine and Trona-Wildrose Road are also priorities that should be addressed.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby mrgreen » Mon Dec 14, 2015 7:53 pm

Death Valley Nudes :nod:
Nudes and news sound a lot a like and it's in Death Valley and so it seemed only natural that it should be included in this thread.
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Local News