TJUSD Board Meeting - August 08, 2013

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - August 08, 2013

Postby wildrose » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:12 am

Is the future of education online?
The exciting future of education! There are still problems to be dealt with and worked out, but "the dawn of humanity" isn't too far off, or so Sal Kahn would have us believe!
:pac:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:54 am

Bulletproof school supplies get low grades from safety experts
As usual entrepreneurial types are out to make a buck off our irrational fears. It's all a bunch of worthless junk, but if consumers can be tricked into paying for it, there's money to be made!!!!
:smack:
Looseleaf binders, No. 2 pencils, rulers — and bulletproof whiteboards? Armored accessories including backpack inserts and clipboards are showing up on back-to-school shopping lists in the wake of campus shootings, from the Sandy Hook massacre to this week's gunfire in Decatur, Ga. But some security experts say safety-conscious supplies like whiteboards-turned-shields are impractical at best, and a diversion from real life-saving resources at worst.

LINK: http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/08/21/20107023-bulletproof-school-supplies-get-low-grades-from-safety-experts
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:52 am

Teachers to learn how to protect classrooms
The article starts out with "The unfortunate reality of the modern school room and education system is that it must include an active defense system against spree shooters." So they are calling them spree shooters now. Didn't they used to call them mass murderers?
:shrug:
A shooting-spree situation usually lasts 10-15 minutes and is over well before law enforcement can enter an active scene. Houck said that an average response team arrives between one and 12 minutes of receiving the call. Statistically, during a spree shooting, there are 2-4 people shot per minute.

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/article/20130821/NEWS/130829956/1004/NEWS
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Sat Aug 24, 2013 10:32 am

College student gives epic speech
The speech is so over-the-top that it's more of a parody of an inspirational speech than actually an inspirational speech, but one way or the other it went viral.
:prof:
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Sun Aug 25, 2013 7:16 am

Microsoft Begins 'Bing for Schools' Campaign
Companies put a lot of effort into getting their products into the school environment. If a child spends a lot of time using a product at school, it increases the chances that the child will prefer the product outside of school. Since students are what you might call a captive audience, schools must exercise their power to allow certain products to be used at school with a high level of integrity. Considering the poor track record of some of the major companies in terms of respecting the privacy of citizens, it might be unethical to allow their products to promoted within the school environment.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby tronagirl » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:18 am

Students say no to healthy school lunch :ack:
Kids don't like the healthy lunches. They'd rather eat tacos, pizza, and burgers!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:30 am

Online School Says It's "cheat Proof"
This is a little creepy, but I suppose it allows people to take tests without the necessity of traveling to some kind of test-taking center. Cheating while taking tests online is potentially problematic, but I'm not sure if I like the idea of allowing remote control of the computer since that can also be abused. And when something can be abused, it eventually will be abused.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:03 am

Do black students do worse on tests?
Drill and kill is the best way to raise the APPARENT performance level of students with below average intelligence. By that I mean by focusing exclusively on test preparation (while neglecting other more important areas of education), test scores can be improved. It would be incorrect to conclude that the "achievement gap" has been eliminated. Generally speaking drill and kill produces short term gains for students who are behind, but is detrimental to the long term growth of students with average or above average intelligence. That said, drill and kill may be the best approach when working with students with severe cognitive deficits, however, I'm not convinced of the veracity of that conclusion either.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:27 am

wildrose wrote:Do black students do worse on tests?
Drill and kill is the best way to raise the APPARENT performance level of students with below average intelligence. By that I mean by focusing exclusively on test preparation (while neglecting other more important areas of education), test scores can be improved. It would be incorrect to conclude that the "achievement gap" has been eliminated. Generally speaking drill and kill produces short term gains for students who are behind, but is detrimental to the long term growth of students with average or above average intelligence. That said, drill and kill may be the best approach when working with students with severe cognitive deficits, however, I'm not convinced of the veracity of that conclusion either.

Do I sense the presence of a rather large elephant in the room? Despite it's undeniable presence no one wants to mention it. Why is that? Political correctness in the way again? The first step in solving a problem is acknowledging that it exists and recognizing the true cause of the problem. Pretending that it's the system that is unfair when it's all on Mother Nature leads to ineffective solutions. Sometimes the truth hurts, but don't blame the message bearer! Just sayin'!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:07 am

mrfish wrote:
wildrose wrote:Do black students do worse on tests?

Do I sense the presence of a rather large elephant in the room? Despite it's undeniable presence no one wants to mention it. Why is that? Political correctness in the way again? The first step in solving a problem is acknowledging that it exists and recognizing the true cause of the problem. Pretending that it's the system that is unfair when it's all on Mother Nature leads to ineffective solutions. Sometimes the truth hurts, but don't blame the message bearer! Just sayin'!

Good points, but diplomacy is important when dealing with a topic like this one. Or in the words of one of America's greatest poets (I'll let people guess the name of this poet, just to see who has a background in American literature):
Tell all the Truth but tell it slant-
Success in Circuit lies
Too bright for our infirm Delight
The Truth's superb surprise
As Lightning to the Children eased
With explanation kind
The Truth must dazzle gradually
Or every man be blind-
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News