TJUSD Board Meeting - December 12, 2013

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - December 12, 2013

Postby wildrose » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:46 am

Majority of Educators Support the Common Core State Standards
After re-reading the article about the fourth grade teacher in Ridgecrest who is critical of the Common Core State Standards (CCSS), I decided to do some web searches to see how other teachers feel. Usually teachers are the most critical group when it comes to educational policy and so if teachers and their unions support something, it must be a good idea. This poll by the National Education Association shows that a very solid majority of teachers support the CCSS.
According to a new poll by the National Education Association, the Common Core State Standards are strongly supported by its members. Roughly two-thirds of educators are either wholeheartedly in favor of the standards (26 percent) or support them with “some reservations” (50 percent). Only 11 percent of those surveyed expressed opposition. Thirteen percent didn’t know enough about the CCSS to form an opinion.

LINK: http://neatoday.org/2013/09/12/nea-poll-majority-of-educators-support-the-common-core-state-standards/
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - December 12, 2013

Postby wildrose » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:53 am

California Teachers Association: Common Core Information Page :sun:
This page summarizes some of the most important information about the Common Core. It also provides links to other sites with even more information. After doing a little web research this morning I feel quite comfortable concluding that the fourth grade teacher from Ridgecrest mentioned in one of my previous posts had no idea what she was talking about. Almost every claim she made is clearly refuted by the information posted on this page and pages linked to on this page! According to this page the Common Core State Standards:
1. They Will Deepen Problem-Solving Skills and Critical Thinking
2. They Promote Greater Opportunity for All Kids
3. They Bring Back Flexibility and Creativity
4. They Call for Collaborative Decisions
5. Implementation is the Key to Success

It irks me to think that the Ridgecrest newspaper allowed the assertions made by the fourth grade teacher to go unchallenged. Some fact-checking should have been done to counter the misinformation presented in that article!
:smack:
LINK: http://www.cta.org/Issues-and-Action/Testing-and-Standards/Common-Core-State-Standards.aspx
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Local News