TJUSD Board Meeting - January 09, 2014

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Trona Basketball

Postby cactuspete » Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:20 am

blackturtle.us: That's what I figured. Thanks for the unbiased report. It's a pity that some people allow their ambitions to get in the way of being fair. The world is full of people like that. They pretend to be concerned and to have the welfare of others in mind, but they're really just out for themselves. The problem is that they are willing to throw others under the bus in order to get what they want!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - January 09, 2014

Postby shadylady » Sat Jan 25, 2014 7:42 am

Too Hot To Be Around Children? | Teacher's Aide/Model Removed [Photos]
This is completely ridiculous. This young lady should file a lawsuit against the school. There is no basis for removing her from her job. She did nothing wrong and for some puritanical idiot to impose his/her beliefs on her is nothing more than a form of discrimination and is completely intolerable!
:curse:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:27 am

US trashes $3.5 million daily in veggies at schools
School lunch programs probably aren't very effective. Lots of wasted food. Rewarding kids for eating fruits and vegetables is not a good idea. It teaches kids that they should be little jerks unless someone pays them to do otherwise!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:40 am

Sesame Street Characters Start Propagating Healthy Living
Another news clip about getting kids to eat more healthy. This is probably a better approach than bribing kids to eat healthy foods. There's a new character called Dr. Rooster who sort of looks like a real guy named Dr. Fuster. Crazy stuff...
:dizzy:
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Bribing Kids To Eat Healthy

Postby wildrose » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:19 am

MojaveMike: I agree that bribing kids is a really bad idea. They figure out when you do that that they are the ones in control and they figure out ways of manipulating adults who do that. Kids need to learn to do things because it's the right thing to do. Bribing is a short cut used by parents who don't know what they're doing.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:48 pm

Utah school snatches students' lunches
Nothing like this better ever happen in Trona. There'll be hell to pay if it does!!!!!!
:curse:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:40 am

Football Too Dangerous For Kids? A LOT Of Parents Say Yes
FORTY PERCENT of parents realize that football is not good for kids. Obviously that's the top 40% in terms of intelligence and education level, but stupidity is no excuse for child abuse. Schools should not be allowed to have football programs. Allowing a child to play football is child abuse and the worst kind of child abuse is that which is legal. The same goes for allowing kids to ride motorcycles and quads, BTW.
:mad2:
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Football

Postby BallaratBob » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:37 am

SHADY: There's too much money in football at both the college and the professional level. In order to get kids to stop playing the game it has got to disappear from popular culture. Through a long protracted campaign lasting decades it's been possible to reduce smoking considerably, but eliminating football would be a thousand times more difficult. It ain't going to happen.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:19 am

Bob: It's hard to argue that football is as unhealthy as cigarettes. It may be bad, but it's not that bad. And like you say, there's too much money being made. Of course, that was the case with tobacco too, but I don't see a big social movement to get rid of football. Then again people would have said exactly the same thing about cigarettes back in the 1940s so I guess you never know what's going to happen in the long run!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby mrgreen » Wed Feb 05, 2014 7:51 pm

CrustyOldFart wrote:Bob: It's hard to argue that football is as unhealthy as cigarettes. It may be bad, but it's not that bad. And like you say, there's too much money being made. Of course, that was the case with tobacco too, but I don't see a big social movement to get rid of football. Then again people would have said exactly the same thing about cigarettes back in the 1940s so I guess you never know what's going to happen in the long run!

Funny you should say that...
New TV Show Depicts the Ugly Side of Youth Football

Coincidentally, this video was posted the same day.
CVS Announces Plan to Phase Out Cigarettes

I would not :cry3: if football met the same fate as cigarettes and dinosaurs, but I'm sure there are tons of boneheaded morons who will...
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

PreviousNext

Return to Local News