TJUSD Board Meeting - January 09, 2014

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

TJUSD Board Meeting - January 09, 2014

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:38 pm

The agenda for tonight's meeting was pretty short and the actual length of the meeting was also a little on the short side. Only one community member attended the meeting. All others in attendance were either board members or school employees.

ITEMS OF INTEREST:
1. During the Board Member Comments portion of the meeting Sandy Sprouse shared a concern regarding someone who had stolen items from a Christmas light display during the holidays. She stated that a military flag and other items were taken. She expressed her frustration over this issue and referred to the person who stole the items as a "low-life" and stated that she hopes that people will come forward to identify the individual responsible.

2. Superintendent's Report - Mr. Olney talked about a number of items including: Parent Project (begins January 16 and classes run for twelve weeks), Sex Education (students in grades six through ten received relevant instruction this year and the same grades will be involved next year), Assessment/Testing (CST is being phased out, with only a few tests being given this year, and the Smarter Balanced testing program is being phased in, with a test run being conducted this year during April), and Prop 39 (energy efficiency). Mr. Olney also talked about Governor Brown's proposed budget. More tax revenue than expected was collected last year. This will speed up the the rate at which districts are reimbursed for certain expenditures and it will also speed up the implementation of the Local Control Funding Formula program. Additionally, funds will be set aside in reserve as per requirements of Proposition 98 (aka, Classroom Instructional Improvement and Accountability Act of 1988).

3. Public Comments - Jayana Ledbetter shared her observations regarding the high school basketball program with the board. She said that it is not fair to the coach or the kids for a single coach to be fully responsible for both the boys and the girls teams. She stated that it appears as if the coach has been set up for failure. She characterized the teams as disorganized. In fact, she said that many people in the community assert that the teams are "so disorganized that it's painful to watch" and that many people in the community are making negative comments about the coach behind his back. Board President Garrison thanked Ms. Ledbetter for her comments and expressed the hope that other people would share their observations regarding the basketball season with the board.

4. Policies and Procedures - A first reading of proposed alterations to the following Board Policy items was conducted: Williams Uniform Complaint Procedures, Single Plan for Student Achievement, School Site Councils/Single Plan for Student Achievement, Local Control and Accountability Plan, and Accountability. Several changes were proposed and in order for changes to Board Policy to be implemented they must be first announced at one board meeting so that the public is made aware of the proposed changes. Then at the following regular board meeting (a month later) the policies may be voted upon once everyone has had a chance to inspect the proposed changes and share any concerns. The board will conduct a special workshop on January 27 (Monday) from 4-7 p.m. in order to discuss the proposed changes.

NEXT REGULAR BOARD MEETING: February 13, 2014 at 6 p.m.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - January 09, 2014

Postby blackturtle.us » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:36 pm

Gov. Brown’s proposed budget helps California schools heal after years of devastating cuts
Here's more information on the governor's proposed budget and how it affects education. :thumb:
Gov. Jerry Brown unveiled his proposed state budget Thursday including $10 billion in new funding for K-12 schools and community colleges. This includes $6 billion to eliminate all deferral payments to local school districts and colleges, as well $244 million for CSU and UC systems of higher education. Additionally, the governor committed to working with all parties to stabilize the teachers’ retirement system.

LINK: http://www.cta.org/About-CTA/News-Room/Press-Releases/2014/01/20140109_1.aspx
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Fri Jan 10, 2014 8:48 am

It's nice to see that the state budget for education is looking so good. Hopefully this will translate into a strengthening of the entire system and a better experience for all students! Governor Brown has had to do a lot of cleaning up after his predecessor. Hopefully Californians have learned a lesson! Don't elect actors to serve as governor!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:40 am

blackturtle.us wrote:3. Public Comments - Jayana Ledbetter shared her observations regarding the high school basketball program with the board. She said that it is not fair to the coach or the kids for a single coach to be fully responsible for both the boys and the girls teams. She stated that it appears as if the coach has been set up for failure. She characterized the teams as disorganized. In fact, she said that many people in the community assert that the teams are "so disorganized that it's painful to watch" and that many people in the community are making negative comments about the coach behind his back. Board President Garrison thanked Ms. Ledbetter for her comments and expressed the hope that other people would share their observations regarding the basketball season with the board.

REALITY CHECK: The boys team is composed of all freshmen and sophomores except for one junior according to MAXPREPS.
LINK: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/trona-tornadoes-%28trona,ca%29/basketball/roster.htm
So far no league games have been reported on MAXPREPS and the teams they played in the preseason would have beat them most years even with a strong team composed of mostly seniors and juniors.
REALITY CHECK: The girls team is also composed of mostly freshmen and sophomores except for two juniors according to MAXPREPS.
LINK: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/trona-tornadoes-%28trona,ca%29/girls-basketball/roster.htm
The girls were 3-3 in preseason and they haven't played any league games yet according to MAXPREPS.
As for rumors in the community, most people I've talked to have said positive things about the coach. I wonder why some people would go out of their way to present false information?
:upset:
Regarding REALITY CHECKS, see my comments under the Restore The Fourth thread in the Technology and Gadgets forum.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:45 am

cactuspete wrote:
blackturtle.us wrote:3. Public Comments - Jayana Ledbetter shared her observations regarding the high school basketball program with the board. She said that it is not fair to the coach or the kids for a single coach to be fully responsible for both the boys and the girls teams. She stated that it appears as if the coach has been set up for failure. She characterized the teams as disorganized. In fact, she said that many people in the community assert that the teams are "so disorganized that it's painful to watch" and that many people in the community are making negative comments about the coach behind his back. Board President Garrison thanked Ms. Ledbetter for her comments and expressed the hope that other people would share their observations regarding the basketball season with the board.

REALITY CHECK: The boys team is composed of all freshmen and sophomores except for one junior according to MAXPREPS.
LINK: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/trona-tornadoes-%28trona,ca%29/basketball/roster.htm
So far no league games have been reported on MAXPREPS and the teams they played in the preseason would have beat them most years even with a strong team composed of mostly seniors and juniors.
REALITY CHECK: The girls team is also composed of mostly freshmen and sophomores except for two juniors according to MAXPREPS.
LINK: http://www.maxpreps.com/high-schools/trona-tornadoes-%28trona,ca%29/girls-basketball/roster.htm
The girls were 3-3 in preseason and they haven't played any league games yet according to MAXPREPS.
As for rumors in the community, most people I've talked to have said positive things about the coach. I wonder why some people would go out of their way to present false information?
:upset:
Regarding REALITY CHECKS, see my comments under the Restore The Fourth thread in the Technology and Gadgets forum.

Interesting that someone would be so concerned as to go to the board and "share" information like this out of the goodness of their heart and out of concern for the kids!
:laugh:
Looks like someone has been possessed by the green-eyed monster. I wonder if there's a priest available who is qualified to perform an exorcism.
:crazy:
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:07 am

pcslim wrote:Looks like someone has been possessed by the green-eyed monster. I wonder if there's a priest available who is qualified to perform an exorcism.
:crazy:

:sun:
It'll take a whole team of highly qualified priests to get rid of a green-eyed monster. I hear they are much more difficult to exorcise than common, ordinary demons. Such exorcisms are rarely successful according to religious lore. WARNING: Green-eyed monster possession is usually accompanied by an extremely bad case of Full of Oneself and Hypocrititis. (See Matthew 7:5 for advice concerning Hypocrititus.)
In the King James Version of the Bible the text reads:

Thou hypocrite, first cast out the beam out of thine own eye;
and then shalt thou see clearly to cast out the mote out of thy brother's eye.

The World English Bible translates the passage as:

You hypocrite! First remove the beam out of your own eye,
and then you can see clearly to remove the speck out of your brother’s eye.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:35 am

Nice little Sunday School lesson there, panamint_patty! :dizzy:
Probably won't do no good even though you did cite Holy Scriptures and all. Religious folk don't like to be preached at. They like to judge others. That's what it's all about!!! Course I don't know who around the town is religious and who isn't. Sometimes I'm pretty sure everyone is out for themselves and they just go to church to kiss each others arses. But what do I know?
:shrug:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildrose » Sun Jan 12, 2014 6:32 pm

REALITY CHECK: It sounds to me like a concerned community member is merely stating that the coach could use some extra help. Maybe an assistant coach to help him stay organized. Jayana didn't say that he was doing a poor job, just that he's a little disorganized. As cactuspete pointed out, it's a young team and so they probably need extra supervision. Just hire an assistant and the problem is solved. I think you people are jumping to the conclusion that Jayana wants to coach one of the teams without any evidence. I'm sure she only wants what's best for the kids, although I'm not seeing how being disorganized is a big enough deal to address the school board over. Come to think of it, that does seem kind of nit-picky, but all this green-eyed monster stuff seems a little harsh and unwarranted as far as I'm concerned!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:59 pm

Obsessive–compulsive personality disorder (OCPD), also called anankastic personality disorder, is a personality disorder characterized by a pervasive pattern of preoccupation with orderliness, perfectionism, mental and interpersonal control at the expense of flexibility, openness, and efficiency.

Disorganized? Seriously? People are obsessing over a coach being disorganized? He's a freaking coach, not a secretary! It sounds to me like all those people complaining about him being disorganized probably ought to go see a psychiatrist and get tested to see if they suffer from OCPD! People need to get a life and stop all this petty faultfinding. Get a hobby or something!
:smack:
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby blackturtle.us » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:26 pm

I ran the clock at both games this evening and not only was Coach Tuckness extremely organized, but both teams won their games against Baker. The games started over an hour late since Baker had a bus breakdown on their way here. The boys' game was a little close and it went into overtime, but Trona wound up winning. Even though I ran the clock, I don't recall either score, but can attest that both games were highly competitive. I believe that this was the first league game played by the teams and so it is factually true to say that both teams are undefeated so far within their league. Preseason games were against teams which belong to different leagues and most of those teams were from much larger schools than Trona and so they tend to be a bit tougher than the teams faced within the league Trona belongs to. Leagues are generally composed of teams from schools of comparable size.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Next

Return to Local News