BLM Thugs Create Huge Standoff in Nevada

If it's not about plants, but it is about the natural environment of Death Valley, then this is the place to post your info or question.

Re: BLM Thugs Create Huge Standoff in Nevada

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:21 am

How do I know the picture with the so called sniper was not staged to make a false impression? You know like when a politician of color accused someone at a Tea Party Assembly of racial comments but could never prove it when pushed. Like how do I know how many cattle were killed without pictures? I would think if I had dead cattle I would document it to the degree of absolute certainty. The point I am making is you can’t believe the lies from one side; you need and have to understand BOTH sides are lying.
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby BallaratBob » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:04 am

There have been plenty of news reports documenting the activities of the Bundy supporters provided by several different networks. If the Bundy supporters were poor black people in the city they would all be sitting in jail at this time. These people are obviously lawless thugs. I tend to question authority on most things, but this is a blatant case of some deadbeat freeloader who thinks he's above the law.
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:20 am

"Showdown At Welfare Ranch" by Old Fart Rants
Just not seeing any reason to feel sorry for Bundy. As for his supporters, they're just plain crazy. Treat them the same as any other citizen. Arrest them, put them on trial, and sentence them to long prison terms. This kind of crap doesn't fly. Bundy isn't exempt from the laws and neither are his supporters. There are a lot of dumb laws and sometimes the government is unreasonable, but this isn't a case of that. Bundy should pay for grazing and his supporters should pay for intimidating law enforcement with their weapons.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CrustyOldFart » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:46 am

Great post CactusHugger! I think OldFartRants characterized the situation pretty accurately. I also have to agree with what I read in the "Deadbeat on the Range" article. I think most people probably are gaining respect for the BLM as a result of this situation. They shouldn't have to deal with such an unreasonable asshole. Here are a few interesting comments left to the OldFartRants video:
A-Frakking-Men, Old Fart! These lead-fetishists are real-life Looney Toons, and the absolute LAST people who should own anything more lethal than a butter knife.

Looney Toons is right! Why support a deadbeat?
The grazing fee on western federal land is $1.35 per month per cow - about 4 cents per cow per day. The average grazing fee on private land is $16.80 a month, and as high as $150 on state lands. Considering he could be paying as high as $5 per day per cow, Cliven Bundy is getting a hell of a deal, but he doesn't even want to pay that. The wingnuts who tout "personal responsibility" and want to "privatize everything" are not only full of shit, they don't even know a good deal when they have one! The federal lands grazing program is just food stamps for cows. It already loses over $120,000,000 per year, and deadbeats like Bundy just cost taxpayers even more. Source: Congressional Research Service and the U.S. Government Accountability Office.

The guy had a sweet deal and he still refused to pay. Amazing!
Now that his property no longer enjoys the protection of the court, let's hear it for modern cattle rustling! What's he going to do, bring you to court?

Funny comment, but I think Bundy and supporters would probably shoot first and ask questions later. Of course, they really can't justify shooting to protect property that they no longer legally own!
By the time Bundy starts dealing with the liens on his property for fees, fines, legal costs, and costs of the aborted round up, and with his assets being attached and his accounts frozen and no banker in his right mind being willing to talk to him, the Feds will end up owning the ranch. By the time he is dealing with incitement charges and definite contempt proceedings with the real possibility of prison time, he'll wish he had just paid his rent.

It will take time, but ultimately he will wind up with nothing and he may well wind up in prison. Many of his supporters will most likely join him there!
I'm gonna end up sounding prejudiced, but when I look at that Hannity report and see the fat old shotgun-slinging cowboy and his fat kids in the frame who probably got FAT off their cows illegally grazing on federal land free of charge, and then hearing him trying to be a smartass at Harry Reid by saying "Mr. Reid sherd tayk kayr of d'fendun us frum Fowrin Nayshuns 'steada bothrin us farmwurs", I feel like I'm gonna snap. Nevermind that I'm not a US citizen, shit like this just inflicts brainfuck on me. Why is it that the stupidity of other people hurts so much?

Gotta agree. Such stupidity is painful, but unfortunately as Albert Einstein so astutely observed, "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
He won't get away with it. He'll be lucky to avoid jail time for contempt of court. Federal judges are touchy about that, especially when it's done with the flamboyance with which Bundy has done it. He could have just quietly negotiated a financial settlement and obeyed the court orders regarding the cattle. Instead, he put the Feds in a position where they have to make an example of him.

That's true. Judges don't like their orders to be ignored. These decisions were fair and reasonable decisions and for a thug like Bundy to arrogantly defy the courts was not a smart move.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:22 pm

I somewhat have to agree with you guys. I heard it said on a talk show that Bundy was a poor choice to be the poster child for all this. There are scads of people paying their taxes that own the land winning every legal battle and still loose their land because they eventually run out of money after paying attorneys fees to defend themselves at every turn, while BLM never runs out because they get it from you and me. Why all the focus on the Bundys? I too condemn the protesters. Bundy is the last remaining cattle rancher in the area. Where were they for the first one and all the ones in between? They did nothing for all that time till it was too late and then went bonkers like a sheep screaming from having it's throat miscut at the slaughterhouse.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Apr 23, 2014 11:16 am

Bundy did not own the land under which his cattle were grazing because he did not own the water rights nor did the party he purchased them from. Things like the grants about to be awarded would establish prescriptive rights to BLM at taxpayer expense. (Nice gig.) But Bundy already had them when he bought them with the property and (fairly or not) lost them in court. Perhaps because BLM took so long to take action he deserves to have them back and get another chance to take them to court again. Some day eventually the decision will be reversed in court and the descendents of the Bundy's land will win. but by that time it will work in favor of the new owners the BLM and whoever they plan on selling it to. (Even nicer gig.)
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Bundy Versus BLM

Postby wildrose » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:13 am

Wow! This has really gotten to be a hotly debated topic! Although it appears that Bundy may have won a battle, it is highly likely that he won't win the war. It's hard for most people to sympathize with him or his supporters. He seems unreasonable and his supporters seem... well... just plain crazy. My prediction is that a lot of people who were critical of the BLM in the past will develop at least a degree of respect for them after seeing the kind of crap they have to deal with.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby desertrat » Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:34 am

We can thank Cliven Bundy for a whole bunch of funny commentary:
:laugh:
1) Straight from Looney Tune Ranch we get this one:
Report claims Eric Holder approved drone strike against Bundy ranch
On Friday, John Jacob Schmidt of Radio Free Redoubt said that according to Stewart Rhodes, founder of Oath Keepers, Attorney General Eric Holder has approved drone strikes against the Bundy ranch to take place some time in the next 48 hours. According to Schmidt, the information came from a source Oath Keepers has within the Department of Defense.

LINK: http://www.examiner.com/article/report-claims-eric-holder-approved-drone-strike-against-bundy-ranch

2) This is a pretty good song parody of an old song from the 1960s:
LINK: https://soundcloud.com/rockymountainmike/bundy-bundy

3) This one includes a clip from the Colbert show:
Colbert’s Ballad About Bundy Interrupted by Embarrassing Fact: ‘Nothing Rhymes with Negro’
LINK: http://www.mediaite.com/tv/colberts-ballad-about-bundy-interrupted-by-embarrasing-fact-nothing-rhymes-with-negro/
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:33 pm

Red News/Blue News: Cliven Bundy
Interesting how the story gets told differently depending on who's telling the story! This news clip does a pretty good job of presenting both sides of the story. Kind of funny how Bundy wound up putting his foot in his mouth. He just warnt quite ready for the big time!
:roll2:
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Freeloader Versus BLM

Postby hungrybill » Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:41 am

Sometimes there's two sides to a story and each side has some truth to it. Other times one side is just plain wacko and the other side is doing its best to be reasonable, but finds it hard to be reasonable because he's dealing with a wacko. Guess what kind of story this one is!
hungrybill
Greenhorn

PreviousNext

Return to General Environment and Nature