TJUSD School Board Meeting - October 11, 2012

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD School Board Meeting - October 11, 2012

Postby panamint_patty » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 am

Flamin' Hot Cheetos Banned from Schools
Schools probably should not allow junk food to be sold on campus, BUT kids should be allowed to bring whatever they want from home to eat. It seems like children are being conditioned to tolerate governmental intrusiveness at an early age. That's not a good thing.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Youth Football Too Dangerous? 5 Concussions in One Game
Diehard football fanatics won't like this one, but people who are rational about the issue will understand the implications.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Key & Peele: Substitute Teacher
This guy is ready to take names and kick some ass!
:laugh:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 am

TJUSD Board approves deal with teachers
Sounds like the teachers got a pretty good deal considering the state of the economy!
Under the terms of the one-year deal, each teacher will receive a one-time bonus of $1,600 for 2012-13 — a 7 percent off-schedule salary increase. If the November tax initiative Proposition 30 passes, teachers will receive a 2 percent on-schedule, base-salary increase, which will be applied June 30, 2013. The health-and-welfare cap will be increased to $12,000 for 2012-13 only, and reopeners will be provided for salary/compensation and health benefits in 2013-14.

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/article/20121030/NEWS/121039977/1001/NEWS
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby pcslim » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:27 am

GO HERE FOR ELECTION RESULTS STARTING TOMORROW:
http://www.sbcounty.gov/rov/current_elections/110612/electionresults/
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby wildrose » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

blackturtle.us wrote:Preliminary API scores were published this week. Trona Elementary received a score of 824. Superintendent Olney stated that anything above 800 is quite good. The HS improved from the previous year by 24 points to a score of 716.

Well at least progress is being made in the area of academics. Of course this is progress as measured by standardized test scores and so maybe it's not actually progress and only appears to be progress. Conforming to standards that don't actually measure academic progress should not be misconstrued as actual progress, IMHO.
:conf2:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Big Brother: RFID Chips Track Kids' Truancy, Eating Habits
Get them used to being tracked while still young and they'll grow up to be good little sheeple willing to do what ever the all-knowing and benevolent government/corporations want them to do.
:curse:
Schools across the country are adopting a variety of different tools to monitor students both in school and outside school. Among these tools are RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) tags embedded in school ID cards, GPS tracking software in computers, and even CCTV video camera systems.

sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

blackturtle.us wrote:
surfsteve wrote:
A. Curtis Bouteau (sp?) - Complimented the senior class on their behavior while they were out painting the T last week

What color were they painting it? Brown or white? From far away it looks like the bottom of the T is fading out but when I climbed up there last week, it was obvious that somebody had painted over the white with brown paint. What is that all about?

The superintendent (David Olney) accompanied the seniors on either the T lighting or the T painting (or both) and he said nothing about brown paint. It seems like it would be a major pain to lug enough brown paint up to the T to paint over all the white. Maybe brown paint was used to cover up areas where white paint had been placed outside the lines (so to speak).

Nope. It wasn't to cover up outside the lines. Somebody went up there on purpose with brown paint and painted out the bottom of the T. If you look from the highway you can see that the bottom looks washed out and uneven and a good 20 feet is missing. My guess is they went up there to paint the whole thing brown and didn't realize how big it was. I have no idea why nobody noticed it. Maybe it was dark when the students painted. It's pretty hard to miss. I also noticed it the last time I went up there, which was a year or two ago. It looks pretty much like I remembered it back than. I don't think anybody has added to the brown this year, nor repainted any of it back to white. My best guess is they used about two gallons of brown latex and and a can or 2 of brown spray paint. Next time I go I will try and remember to bring my camera, so you can see what I mean.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby BallaratBob » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

Students Suspended for Seeing Teacher in Bra on School iPad :smack:
If people would just chill out when it comes to nudity, then this whole "problem" would no longer be perceived as a problem. The kids did what kids do and the teacher did nothing wrong, so why get all bent out of shape and act like there's a problem?
BallaratBob
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:27 am

surfsteve wrote:
blackturtle.us wrote:
surfsteve wrote:
A. Curtis Bouteau (sp?) - Complimented the senior class on their behavior while they were out painting the T last week

What color were they painting it? Brown or white? From far away it looks like the bottom of the T is fading out but when I climbed up there last week, it was obvious that somebody had painted over the white with brown paint. What is that all about?

The superintendent (David Olney) accompanied the seniors on either the T lighting or the T painting (or both) and he said nothing about brown paint. It seems like it would be a major pain to lug enough brown paint up to the T to paint over all the white. Maybe brown paint was used to cover up areas where white paint had been placed outside the lines (so to speak).

Nope. It wasn't to cover up outside the lines. Somebody went up there on purpose with brown paint and painted out the bottom of the T. If you look from the highway you can see that the bottom looks washed out and uneven and a good 20 feet is missing. My guess is they went up there to paint the whole thing brown and didn't realize how big it was. I have no idea why nobody noticed it. Maybe it was dark when the students painted. It's pretty hard to miss. I also noticed it the last time I went up there, which was a year or two ago. It looks pretty much like I remembered it back than. I don't think anybody has added to the brown this year, nor repainted any of it back to white. My best guess is they used about two gallons of brown latex and and a can or 2 of brown spray paint. Next time I go I will try and remember to bring my camera, so you can see what I mean.

Hard to tell what is going on up there. It just looks like a big mess. There is lots of white paint outside the lines but at the same time most of the brown paint is inside where the T should be unless somebody planned on making it a lot shorter. It's going to take white paint, brown paint and moving a lot of rocks to fix it.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News