The Pit (Trona Football)

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: The Pit (Trona Football)

Postby James Sel » Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:49 am

jarhead wrote:texasranger: You make quite a few good points and I agree with what you say, but speaking to everyone else, I thought this thread was supposed to be about football in Trona, not high school football in general. My recommendation is that two separate threads be created. One for people who want to complain about how bad football is and another for the current topic which I understand to be football in Trona.

Well if you and your 86 point IQ want a separate thread start one.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby dustdevil » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:21 am

The glorification of professional football players is the real problem here. As long as pro football players are looked up to as heroes and paid ridiculous amounts of money, little boys will want to be just like them. It doesn't matter if schools offer football programs or not since kids can play on their own and when kids play on their own they are even more likely to hurt themselves. It's not the fault of schools that kids want to play football and banning kids from playing football won't solve the problem. It's a cultural problem that is made worse because there's lots of money being made.
dustdevil
Greenhorn

Postby sandman » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:39 am

Trona won its game against Immanuel Christian on Saturday, October 18, with a score of 36-0. It's always especially fun to score a victory against a local rival. The rivalry between these two teams goes back quite a few years!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:25 am

College Athletes Ace “Phantom" Classes In “Shadow” Curriculums
I know some people want to keep the focus of this thread narrow, but I think the larger issue is more interesting. So, here goes... Student athletes are often pampered and given preferential treatment. If the value of football (and other sports) wasn't so exaggerated this sort of situation wouldn't happen. Recognize that football is just a sport and that athletes are just people who play sports and don't glamorize sports and athletics and don't pay athletes lots of money and the problem goes away. Sounds simple, but the problem is ingrained in our society and so we're more or less stuck.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby sandman » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:19 am

Trona scores another win! This time it was the Homecoming game! It was a big win too with Trona outscoring Big Pine 63 to 8 according to MaxPreps. In the Hi-Lo (8 Man) League Trona stands in second place with a win-loss record of 3 and 1 with Mojave in first place with a win-loss record of 3 and 0. That's for league games, but overall for the full season Trona is 5 and 4.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandman » Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:48 am

I missed a couple games since my last post, but in the meantime Trona played in two post season games. They won the first against Westmark with a score of 68 to 28. They lost their game two days ago against Joshua Springs 62 to 12. Playing in two playoff games is pretty good and so I'd say they had a pretty successful season.
:thumb2:
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:40 pm

Trona Football: Prepping for gritty gameplay :popcorn:
It sounds like the team is looking forward to a successful season. Hopefully things go well for them.
Boutte, who is in his third year leading the Tornadoes, boasts six returners to the team. Aside from the familiarity and chemistry, from a coaching perspective, it helps him expand his playbook. “I have five seniors, which is the most I’ve ever had as a coach,” Boutte said. “Some are new to the program, and we’re calling this year an important year. I’m so excited.” The Tornadoes also have playoff experience. The last two seasons of Boutte’s tenure, Trona has gone to the second round of the CIF playoffs.

LINK: http://www.ridgecrestca.com/article/20150812/SPORTS/150819909
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sat Sep 19, 2015 7:30 am

Violence On The Football Field At La Canada High School
Far from being an activity that integrates well into academic life, football is more of a distraction.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:06 am

California High School Student Seen as Big Football Prospect
At SEVEN FEET tall and 440 pounds, this kid is like three football players in one.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby MojaveMike » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:24 pm

High School Football Player Dies From Blow to Spleen
Explanation: The kid had recently had mono which causes the spleen to enlarge, thus increasing the chances of rupture. A couple hard hits to the abs and he was dead a few hours later. Something to keep in mind when allowing your kid to play football.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News