The Pit (Trona Football)

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: The Pit (Trona Football)

Postby desertrat » Sun Oct 12, 2014 11:22 am

BoraxBill wrote:Trona beat Lone Pine last night with a score of 32-26.
:talk:
CactusPete: What you say is undoubtedly true if we apply logic, but we live in an emotion-based society and so logic has nothing to do with it. Big problems get ignored and little problems become exaggerated all depending on how people FEEL about whatever the issue might happen to be. So, don't waste your time applying logic to a situation in a world full of people ruled by their emotions!
:laugh:

It's impossible to keep kids perfectly safe, but it's irresponsible to put them at unnecessary risk of injury and possible death. Football is big business and so it will continue to be popular for at least a few more decades. Just like cigarette companies raked in the big bucks long after it was officially recognized that smoking caused cancer, the same will be true of football. Parents would lose custody of their children if they allowed them to smoke and the same should probably be true when it comes to parents who allow their children to play football. That being said, I wouldn't be in favor of such a policy, but as you indicated, from a logical point of view that seems to be the unavoidable conclusion. But emotion overrides logic and a lot of evil is ignored because people LIKE it and by the same token a lot of good ideas get ignored because people don't LIKE them. People need to grow up and get their emotions under control, but when in the history of humankind have the majority of people actually behaved like intelligent adults? Seriously?
desertrat
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby jarhead » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:22 am

Don't give me any of this liberal whining about football being too dangerous! Football builds character and turns boys into men in many cases. Not only that but players learn teamwork and self-sacrafice and important lessons that will put them on the road to a good life. So, just cut the crap with this football is too dangerous bull!
jarhead
Greenhorn

Postby CactusHugger » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:47 am

Over a century ago many believed that there was nothing wrong with slavery and lots of people in the Old South owned slaves, but nowadays we look back in disbelief and have a hard time comprehending how we could have allowed such a practice. And like desertrat says it wasn't that long ago that tobacco companies were able to push their product without much if any pushback. It took a whole bunch of lawsuits to cut into the profits of big tobacco. My guess is that we'll see a series of lawsuits against parents and schools in the upcoming decades. Those who condoned football will be looked at like the priests who didn't report fellow priests who sexually abused children. They'll be looked at as horrible people who exploited children for their own amusement and entertainment. I think people like ole jarhead will find that they're on the wrong side of history, should they happen to live that long.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby texasranger » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:17 am

I'd like to know what CactusHugger, desertrat, cactuspete, and BoraxBill are smoking! There ain't no way that football will ever be outlawed and if it ever comes to that this country has lost its soul. Football is a cornerstone of what's great and good about this country and if the liberals succeed in taking that away from us then all I can say is that all hope is lost. I agree with jarhead when he says that football builds characteer and that it help turns boys into men. My guess is that CactusHugger, desretrat, cactuspete, and BoraxBill never played football and if they did they were either on a losing team or they had a lousy coach because otherwise they'd realize the value of football and that football is good for kids.
texasranger
Greenhorn

Postby shadylady » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:17 pm

High School Football Players Arrested for Hazing, Sexual Assault
Not saying that this is typical of most football players, but it seems that we hear stories like this at least a couple times each year. I think it's called the entitled jock mentality.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:32 pm

7 teen players charged with hazing
This is a really sad and unfortunate story. I've heard that this hazing stuff is pretty common on football teams and that sort of thing. It's really gross, but I guess it's pretty common for male adolescents when they're not properly supervised to do this sort of thing, especially in lockerroom sitautions.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CactusHugger » Tue Oct 14, 2014 7:16 am

Not saying that all football players are rapists, but that is a stereotype and the crimes that happened in New Jersey do seem to fit in with that point of view. I wonder what texasranger and jarhead have to say about this. Football builds character? What kind of character are you talking about? I really don't think the loss of football would be anything to cry about.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby texasranger » Tue Oct 14, 2014 8:39 am

Just because a few bad apples commit a crime doesn't mean that the entire barrel of apples are bad. Negative stereotypes exist about almost every group of people and they're all unfair. You might as well say that all football players are dumb jocks, but saying it doesn't make it so. Negative people like to accentuate the negative and positive people look for the good in everything. It appears, CactusHugger, that you're just a big Negative Nancy trying to ruin the good reputation of the greatest sport on the planet. Go spread your negativity somewhere else!
texasranger
Greenhorn

Postby jarhead » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:44 am

texasranger: You make quite a few good points and I agree with what you say, but speaking to everyone else, I thought this thread was supposed to be about football in Trona, not high school football in general. My recommendation is that two separate threads be created. One for people who want to complain about how bad football is and another for the current topic which I understand to be football in Trona.
jarhead
Greenhorn

Postby cactuspete » Wed Oct 15, 2014 8:13 am

jarhead: I see your point, but I think you're missing the bigger point. If kids in Trona were immune to the dangers discussed in this thread, then I would agree with you. But the reality of the matter is that kids here can get injured or engage in bad behavior just as easily as kids anywhere else. So, rather than bury our heads in the sand and pretend that football is all good and that nothing bad ever happens, it would be better to take off the blinders and discuss the subject openly and fully.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News