The Pit (Trona Football)

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: The Pit (Trona Football)

Postby drdesert » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:19 pm

surfsteve wrote:Money from just one lawsuit would buy enough water to keep Trona's football field green for a very long time!

People can file lawsuits for just about anything, but the CIF has recognized Trona's field as legitimate and they wouldn't do this if there were reason to believe that the field was in some way unsafe. I'm sure you could find exercise physiologists to testify on either side of such a lawsuit, some claiming that a dirt field is more dangerous than grass and others with the same credentials providing evidence to the contrary, but ultimately the lawsuit would fail. The field is plowed before football games to loosen up the dirt and so falling on the field is no worse than falling on a grass field. It would be very difficult to win a lawsuit based on the fact that there is no grass on the field. It would come down to some other, unrelated factor.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby surfsteve » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:23 pm

I assumed the dirt was groomed and that any rocks have been removed generations ago. One of the things I love when I visit the bigger cities here is the grass. Don't know about the high school but the grass in Ridgecrest's park nearby is pretty pitiful. You'd think with all that money they must be spending on water that they would make sure their sprinkler system is functioning properly. It also looks like they've never fertilized it in ages. What's their high school's field like?

Nothing about Trona in here:

EPA is paving dirt roads and covering bare soil at Oak Ridge High School to prevent naturally occurring asbestos in the soil from becoming airborne, where it can be inhaled.

While it is present all over the state of California — in 42 of 58 counties — naturally occurring asbestos can be found most abundantly in and around Humboldt County, in areas of San Benito and Monterey counties, and in western El Dorado county. EPA's Pacific Southwest Region has a long history of involvement in assessing and minimizing the risk from asbestos in California, including Alameda, Calaveras, Fresno, Los Angeles, Santa Clara, Santa Cruz, San Benito, and San Mateo counties.

https://archive.epa.gov/region9/toxic/w ... basic.html

How much dirt does the average Trona football player inhale? Good thing Oak Ridge High School doesn't have a dirt field!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:16 am

surfsteve: Well in that case maybe a moratorium on breathing should be imposed until it has been determined that it's safe to breath!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:05 am

On the contrary. All concerns must be ridiculed and ignored. Our forefathers decreed all was fine and that it must never be questioned till the end of time.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Asbestos

Postby deathvalleyjake » Wed Dec 12, 2018 8:32 am

I was under the impression that naturally occurring asbestos was not nearly as bad as industrial asbestos. I'm no expert on the topic. That's just what I heard. If asbestos in the dirt is a major health issue, then what are we to do about off-road vehicles? The amount of dust produced in a football game is tiny compared to the dirt put into the air by off-road vehicles.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby surfsteve » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:16 am

I think it's only a concern in certain areas. I don't even think it's a concern for Trona as I pointed out in one of my earlier posts while citing another high school that it would be but apparently I struck a nerve anyway. As for natural vs industrial asbestos I don't know that there is any difference. Did you know that talcum powder contains asbestos and should not be breathed in?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Asbestos

Postby deathvalleyjake » Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:43 am

I do my best to avoid snorting talcum powder, but I'm sure more than a few cocaine addicts have made that mistake. I did a quick web search and there are different types of asbestos and they are not all equally dangerous. I didn't get much further than that.
deathvalleyjake
Cantankerous Mule

Postby MojaveMike » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:26 am

surfsteve: Aren't you the person who create the Golf in Trona? We don't need no stinking grass! thread? You seem to be singing a very different tune when it comes to the football field. Change of philosophy or entirely different situation? Why the apparent inconsistency?
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Dec 15, 2018 7:49 am

That was done tongue in cheek, documenting how Tronan's are able to persevere despite lacking basic necessities like outdoor water that other people take for granite. Legislators and the ultra wealthy that pretend to care have no idea that many here live in conditions that are often worse off than other third world countries. They would rather send our water downstream to benefit the imaginary needs of some fish than give it to people other than themselves who actually need it.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:55 pm

Summer Safety 2019 :thumb:
The beginning of this video shows a tornado chasing a football player wearing a BHS shirt. Does the B stand for Burroughs, Boron, Bishop, Bakersfield, or Beatty?
twister
Backcountry Hiker

PreviousNext

Return to Local News