Common Core

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Common Core

Postby surfsteve » Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:58 am

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:02 am

If a picture is worth a thousand words, what is a thousand pictures worth?

Out of curiosity, I entered the following phrases into google images and coded them; so that by right clicking each one in a new tab, each phrase can be scrolled through to see what they look like; side by side.

school
school of fish
fish education
nclb education
common core education
education
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Wed Feb 04, 2015 7:29 pm

How Common Core Created More Controversy
Everybody blames Pearson! Common Core isn't really the problem. It's how it's implemented and how testing is conducted that's the problem. This video provides a little info about Pearson and how they're involved in education.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:51 am

The main problem I see with this Common Core debate is that people confuse lesson plans, assessment (tests), and curriculum. Essentially common core is only about curriculum. In fact, it's just an outline that leaves a lot of room for different types of lesson plans and assessment methods. Almost all the complaining is about specific lesson examples and specific test items. It would probably be more productive to recognize that the core of Common Core makes perfect sense and that the testing tools need improvement. For that matter, abandoning standardized testing completely would probably be a good idea!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:25 am

I don't think anybody actually confuses lesson plans, assessment and curriculum. I think they just don't understand how common core relates to them. Everyone here is saying that common core is only about the curriculum but one of the main complains about it is that it forces teachers to teach to the test. How is that even possible if they have nothing to do with each other?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:17 am

With NCLB teachers were almost forced to teach to the test. That is much less true with Common Core. However, whenever you have standardized testing of any kind there is always going to be pressure on teachers to produce good test results which to some extent requires that teachers teach to the test. So, it sounds like your beef is not with Common Core, but with standardized testing. If so, I agree. Although the intent of standardized testing is to hold people accountable, the result is that it stifles creativity, undermines the development of higher order thinking skills. and creates a high pressure atmosphere which is not conducive to learning.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Tue Feb 10, 2015 7:38 pm

The Techies Who Are Hacking Education by Homeschooling Their Kids
All sorts of weird ideas in this article. It talks about homeschooling and unschooling and all sorts of alternative ways of educating your kids. Ultimately there is no perfect solution, but after describing all sorts of unconventional ideas about education the author says this:
Feel free to roll your eyes at this point. There’s something inherently maddening about a privileged group of forward-thinkers removing their children from the social structures that have defined American childhood for more than a century under the presumption that they know better. (And if you want to see how antiauthoritarian distrust can combine malevolently with parental concern, look no further than the Disneyland measles outbreak caused by the anti-vaccine crowd.)

LINK: http://www.wired.com/2015/02/silicon-valley-home-schooling/
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby cactuspete » Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:39 am

mrgreen: I really like the article! It seems that sometimes people think they're a lot smarter than they really are. These techies probably will provide an inferior education for their children, but what I really liked about the article is the way it seemed to be extolling the advantages of homeschooling and then it threw a curveball with that line comparing the homeschooling crowd to the anti-vaccine crowd. That was a nice pivotal move on the part of the writer and it kind of helps the reader to reconsider any questions about assumptions that the reader may have been in the process of reconsidering.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Anti-Vaccine Crowd

Postby panamint_patty » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:11 am

cactuspete: Actually I think all the people who think that Common Core is a conspiracy are a lot like members of the anti-vaccine crowd. You can look up the actual contents of Common Core online. You don't have to rely on what nutjobs have to say about it. Read it for yourself and you'll see that it's just plain common sense stuff a reasonable and intelligent person would expect to be taught to kids at school. How it gets twisted into some kind of conspiracy is hard to figure except for that people who buy into that way of thinking really need to learn how to do a little fact-checking. It's really not that hard!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Feb 12, 2015 9:07 am

People against common core are also among those in the anti vaccine crowd? Seriously. Ever since I got the measles 72 hours after being vaccinated for them at High School in 1976 I've always been suspicious; what I found out ain't pretty. As for fact checking I totally agree. If people had done their homework there never would have been NCLB in the first place. Common Core removes the responsibility off of the teachers and onto our corporations and politicians! :poop:
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News