Common Core

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Schools in Trona

Postby texasranger » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:17 am

Does anyone know if there are any church schools in town? My daughter may be moving into town and she has two children who are elementary school age. I don't want them attending the local school with all thise common core crap going on. Any information would be much appreciated.
texasranger
Greenhorn

Postby surfsteve » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:20 pm

What is common core?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:41 pm

Is this for real?

So common core is basically a fancy word for dumbing down?

I haven't watched this next one yet.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Fri Nov 21, 2014 7:41 am

texasranger: The Baptist Church in Pioneer Point has a school and another church located in Trona also may still have a school. Otherwise, there are at least a couple choices in Ridgecrest available as well as a Charter School that gets great marks.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:06 am

texasranger wrote:Does anyone know if there are any church schools in town? My daughter may be moving into town and she has two children who are elementary school age. I don't want them attending the local school with all thise common core crap going on. Any information would be much appreciated.

This is all pretty scary stuff. I can't blame you for now wanting to send your kid though it. And thought schools were bad when I went to them for making kids read Dr. Suss. Who knew those were the good old days?

Haven't had a chance to watch this last video yet but I am very familiar with the woman giving the presentation's older work and don't recall her talking about common core at all. Apparently it's all new and teachers are being forced to go along with it or not only lose their jobs but their licenses.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:01 am

texasranger wrote:Does anyone know if there are any church schools in town? My daughter may be moving into town and she has two children who are elementary school age. I don't want them attending the local school with all thise common core crap going on. Any information would be much appreciated.

Nothing to fear with Common Core. There's a lot of hype, but no substance to the complaints. Just insignificant issues taken out of context. As a former teacher I've talked with friends who are still teaching and none of them can figure out what the fuss is all about. There are a few minor changes in emphasis, but the curriculum remains the same. There's more emphasis on reading non-fiction and more emphasis on understanding concepts (as opposed to cranking out answers using methods that the student doesn't actually understand). There's less importance placed on test scores and more emphasis on collaboration and project-based assignments. It's all good as far as I can tell.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Common Core

Postby MojaveMike » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:56 am

Indoctrination in Common Core ELA Texts
The guy who is "analyzing" (and I use the term very loosely) these instructional materials seems to completely miss the boat with almost every example he presents. He talks about indoctrination, but every example he presents is the EXACT OPPOSITE. The materials are designed to teach kids the power of words and effective writing techniques. Not only will kids who are presented these lessons become more effective writers, but they'll also understand the techniques others use to persuade and manipulate others. In other words, these materials provide the students with the beginning of a defense against indoctrination. I'm not sure why anyone would object to that unless of course he doesn't like the idea of kids learning to think critically and understand techniques used to manipulate others.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Common Core

Postby surfsteve » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:36 am

Stop nagging me about common core!
It isn't easy to find common ground on the Common Core. Already hailed as the “next big thing” in education reform, the Common Core State Standards are being rushed into classrooms in nearly every district in the country. Although these “world-class” standards raise substantive questions about curriculum choices and instructional practices, such educational concerns are likely to prove less significant than the role the Common Core is playing in the larger landscape of our polarized education reform politics.

http://www.rethinkingschools.org/archiv ... t274.shtml
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby texasranger » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:13 am

I've heard mostly bad things about common core. I like to be open-minded about things, but I don't want to be fooled by people trying to pull a fast one either. I suppose that I will admit that Common Core is an improvement over NCLB. I haven't heard anything good about NCLB and the criticisms of common core seem a little less extreme, but I don't really see why we need a nationwide curriculum for public schools. I'm in favor of local control and allowing local schools to do their job without the government trying to micromanage everything anybody does all the time!
texasranger
Greenhorn

Postby surfsteve » Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:12 am

Common core is experimental. There is no evidence that it will work. It has never been tried; even on a small scale. (Except perhaps in secrecy.) There are no State standards to common core. Common Core State Standards is just a name. There are no Common Core standards pertaining to individual states. It's like a McDonalds hamburger; you either take it or leave it. Once your state has it you and your kid have the freedom to accept it willingly or not. Would you like a side of freedom frys with that order?

一個你管是勝過千言萬語
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Local News