Common Core

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Common Core

Postby surfsteve » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:59 pm

This video if true clears up a lot of the misconceptions a lot of us have. Many of the ridiculous things like math problems we are hearing about mentioned in common core are not new to common core and have been around since NCLB, some even before it.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Sat Feb 14, 2015 7:54 am

cactuspete wrote:... what I really liked about the article is the way it seemed to be extolling the advantages of homeschooling and then it threw a curveball with that line comparing the homeschooling crowd to the anti-vaccine crowd.

panamint_patty wrote:cactuspete: Actually I think all the people who think that Common Core is a conspiracy are a lot like members of the anti-vaccine crowd. You can look up the actual contents of Common Core online. You don't have to rely on what nutjobs have to say about it.
surfsteve wrote:People against common core are also among those in the anti vaccine crowd? Seriously.

CactusPete liked the way the homeschooling crowd was COMPARED to the anti-vaccine crowd. Panamint_Patty said that they are A LOT LIKE members of the anti-vaccine crowd. I didn't see anyone saying that people against common core are also AMONG those in the anti-vaccine crowd.

I recall way back in 1970s parents complaining that they didn't understand the "new math" and so parents have been complaining about new teaching methods for decades now. Just like there's nothing new about Common Core, there's also nothing new about parents making excuses for not knowing how to help their kids with their homework. It's seems that some things never change!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:04 pm

You got me there Wildrose. I guess it's always been bad, it's always been getting worse and it's always been your: teachers, parents, corporations, politicians, students and the dog that ate their homework's fault!
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:19 am

My take on this issue is that there's nothing new about common core and that most of the complaints being made pertain more to NCLB than to Common Core. It seems like a delayed reaction and the complainers just seem a little confused and misinformed. I think the most fundamental mistake being made is confusing curriculum with testing. Mandated, standardized tests are being aligned to fit Common Core, but the tests are not Common Core. Common Core is simiply a list of teaching objectives. In fact, those objectives are listed in two PDFs available here:

http://www.cde.ca.gov/re/cc/

Nationwide standardization of curricular goals is not a bad thing as it allows for consistency of the educational experience for those who move from one state to another. Continuity is a good thing for those who must relocate. On top of that the standards listed in the Common Core are just plain and simple common sense things that you'd want all kids to learn regardless of who they are or what they plan to do with their lives.

I agree that placing too much emphasis on test scores is a bad thing, but we've had mandated tests for several decades. The importance of these tests has increased due to politicians talking about accountability and some weird idea that all children learn with equal ease and that somehow failure of children to learn is the fault of the teachers and of the schools. Almost any teacher can be transformed from an "effective" teacher to one deemed ineffective (or vice versa) simply by plugging them into a different community. Test scores are a reflection on the community, not on the teaching staff.
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby cactuspete » Tue Feb 17, 2015 7:58 am

surfsteve: I think you're right. There's always the perception that things are going to heck and fault has always been placed on all the traditional entities as you say. However, I think corporations are playing a bigger and bigger role in all this. They are busy lobbying for new ways for public funds to be spent on their products all the time. That's why I'm in favor of open source education with currators paid by the state organizing lesson plans and other learning materials in a manner similar to the way information is organized on WikiPedia. Keep Apple and Windows out of the classroom and use only open source software. No corporations allowed!
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:28 am

You're right Cactuspete; it's not Common Core. It's the entire educational system. I felt the same way when I went to high school in the 70's. It's the same thing only the circles are tighter with each generation as if everything were heading down a drain.

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Thu Jun 18, 2015 7:54 am

Who invented the Common Core?
I don't think that Common Core is what you'd call an invention. It's more of a development or program put together by people who wanted national standards. There's nothing new about Common Core. It's just a list of things that kids are supposed to learn. Likewise there's nothing new about national standards. That's just the idea that people should be able to count on something no matter where they go in the country.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:56 am

Common core was mostly developed by The Bill Gates foundation; not teachers! David Coleman, a Rhodes scholar, is frequently described in the media as "the architect" of the Common Core State Standards Initiative. He was a data miner not a teacher. He was born in Manhattan to a Jewish family. His father was a psychiatrist; his mother was the president of Bennington College in Vermont and Dean of "The New School" in downtown Manhattan. Teachers had about as much participation in the development of common core as flies did in the development of fly paper!

Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Fri Jun 19, 2015 7:29 am

We Have An Agenda Issue Here!
It's pretty clear that this Freedom Project Education group is using hysteria over Common Core to motivate people to send kids to their events (and thereby make money to grow the organization). They misrepresent and exaggerate the problems with Common Core to a point that is nothing short of ridiculous. Their "Freedom Project Education" agenda is much more scary than anything about Common Core. They remind me of Muslims who would impose Sharia Law on everyone else and they do it while talking about freedom and with a smile on their face!

Common Core is a huge improvement over No Child Left Behind (NCLB). The only real problem with Common Core is that it still mandates standardized testing. Do away with standardized testing and Common Core becomes nothing more than a set of guidelines to help states make sure they cover important concepts so that no child fails to have an opportunity to learn what every child should learn before graduating high school. Common Core should be nothing more than a set of guidelines and to ensure that that's how it's treated standardized testing should be abolished.

Here's the Freedom Project Education group's video promoting Camp Freedom 2015:

Sounds like the opposite of freedom to me! Kids getting god shoved up their asses and religious nutjob instructors smiling about all the enthusiasm! Everything is hunky dory at Camp Freedom!
:smack:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jun 19, 2015 9:51 am

Perhaps it's clear to you but nothing about it is clear from watching that video. I don't understand what some obscure religious nutjob school has to do with common core. What hysteria tactics are they using over it to promote their scam? Virtually anything is an improvement over NCLB. Would you be embracing common core so much if NCLB had never existed? It seems like the same sort of tactic Bill Gates used when they came out with Windows Vista and then got everyone to embrace their next version, Windows 7.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News