Neighbors

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Neighbors

Postby cactuspete » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:14 pm

CrustyOldFart wrote:What we all fear is our neighborhood turning into a ghetto!
There are rich ghettos and there are poor ghettos, but there are a few things that you'll find in most ghettos:
1) Excessive clutter - Houses are not properly cared for. People park cars on the street or in their yards. Trash is allowed to accumulate.
2) Excessive noise - Loud music. Barking dogs. Loud vehicles.

Obviously to care for houses some noise must be made, but the point is that in good neighborhoods consideration is the norm, not the exception. Good neighbors keep their noise to themselves. That's a slogan worth living by. The problem is that people raised in ghettos don't understand the meaning of consideration and when they move into a good neighborhood they often bring the ghetto with them.

People generally get what they deserve. Neighborhoods that are cluttered and noisy generally wind up being neighborhoods with high crime rates. One failure leads to another. It's important to treat others with respect and consideration. What you don't want is to contribute to a downward spiral. Upward spirals are much better for everyone. There's no such thing as avoiding change and change is always either for the better or for the worse.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:17 am

East Bakersfield neighborhood believes dogs were intentionally poisoned
Who knows if this was a matter of revenge or due to the dogs barking all the time? It's impossible to say without more info.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dilbert » Mon Oct 01, 2018 7:49 am

twister: Sounds like maybe someone hired the D4 group mentioned earlier in this thread. It could be revenge or frustration with noise or who knows what. The D4 people don't ask questions, but they do provide a service. Not advocating or suggesting anything, but there are people who will take care of your problem for a fee. Just check them out on the Dark Web.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby drdesert » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:32 am

dilbert: There are plenty of groups on the Dark Web who will take your money for services like what you're talking about. Just remember that some of them are FBI agents posing as hitmen. Although the D4 group has a reputation for being reliable and efficient, if they get taken down by the FBI, then it's likely that the FBI will use them as a front to entrap people seeking illegal services. Just because it's on the Dark Web don't think that means that you can get away with anything you want. In fact, if it's on the Dark Web you should if anything be much more cautious and circumspect.
drdesert
Lonesome Miner

Postby JanuaryJones » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:24 am

Generally I like dogs, but my neighbor's dogs have got to go. I'm not quite ready to do anything drastic, but I wish they'd just get their dogs to STFU when I'm trying to sleep! I fully empathize with anyone who would do something drastic, but I'm not to the point where I'm ready to go there. Yet.
JanuaryJones
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby Sparky of SoCal » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:23 am

I had a dog barking next door everytime the owner left the house. Dog never barked when he was home. At first he thought I was crazy but as others chimmed in he started to understand. Me being a fine outstanding kind of guy he trusted me with a controller to a training collar for the dog. After about 2 weeks we were good with the dog. We next moved on to the kids...................
Sparky of SoCal
Cantankerous Mule

Postby tronagirl » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:11 am

I've heard that sometimes using ultrasonic devices can cure a dog of a barking problem. I don't know how well they work, but such a device might be worth a try. Somewhere I've heard that they sometimes get all the dogs in the neighborhood barking and so it's possible that improper usage could make things worse.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby surfsteve » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:13 am

I've had shock collars on my dogs for a couple of years now. I tried the collar on my own finger and you can barely feel the shock even on high which it progressively reaches if the dog keeps barking. It's mostly the annoying beep that keeps them from barking. If there were a way to disable the shock I would do it because it just eats up the batteries.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:56 am

San Marcos to discipline "irresponsible pet owners"
Brilliant idea! Make this statewide! Irresponsible people most definitely should not be allowed to own pets. I'd up the ante a bit and attach meaningful fines to the citations and I'd actually create a statewide list of offenders. Anyone reporting irresponsible pet owners should be considered to be a neighborhood hero for helping to improve the general condition of the neighborhood.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:14 am

mrfish: The bottom line is that the state of California has enacted some insanely stupid laws. We have laws against plastic bags and plastic straws. It would be nice if for a change some laws were made that actually made sense. A statewide registry of people who abuse animals is a great idea and I'd include irresponsible pet owners on that list. People who can't keep their dogs from barking or who allow their pets out on the street should be put on the list as far as I'm concerned. If you can't take proper care of your pet, then you shouldn't own a pet. I'd welcome laws regulating pet ownership which require responsible behavior when it comes to animals!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News