Neighbors

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Neighbors

Postby tronagirl » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:05 am

The Fight Over Los Angeles's Giga-Mansions
People have problems with their neighbors even in the best neighborhoods. It might be little things like your neighbor's kids leaving litter in their yard which gets blown into your yard or it may be major stuff like the kind of extravagant construction shown in this video, but there's always something to complain about!

Do your neighbors consider you to be an :angel: or a :diablo: ?
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: Neighbors

Postby CactusHugger » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:18 am

The worst neighbors I ever had did a crappy job at cleaning up after their dogs. They allowed the dog crap to pile up in their backyard and the smell was disgusting. This was when I was a kid and my parents tried talking to them and they cleaned it up some, but not enough to do anything about the odor and then they just let more crap pile up. So my parents tried calling some agency and at first the agency wouldn't do anything about the problem, but after a few months the agency finally agreed that the stench constituted a public health problem and notified the neighbors that they had to solve the problem or face a fine. Long story short, the neighbors cleaned up the crap and got rid of the dogs.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby sandwitch » Sat Jul 04, 2015 12:51 pm

One of my neighbors ran a clandestine drug lab (aka, meth lab) in his house for years until one night his house went up in flames. Problem solved. The neighborhood has been so much nicer ever since that night. Can't say I miss him any.
:angel:
sandwitch
Greenhorn

Postby James Sel » Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:14 pm

sandwitch wrote:One of my neighbors ran a clandestine drug lab (aka, meth lab) in his house for years until one night his house went up in flames. Problem solved. The neighborhood has been so much nicer ever since that night. Can't say I miss him any.
:angel:

Love a story with a happy ending.
James Sel
Cantankerous Mule

Postby recluse » Sun Jul 05, 2015 7:10 am

The worst neighbor I had was when I was in college and living in an apartment complex. Several of my neighbors were on the noisy side, but one old man in particular was especially annoying. He was hard of hearing and constantly played his TV way too loud. I asked him politely to turn it down several times, but he always dragged me into a long boring conversation each time. I think he was lonely and this was just his way of getting people to pay attention to him. It's hard to get people to change their ways and inconsiderate people are often the most stubborn when it comes to this sort of thing.
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CoolChick » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:50 am

Where Are The World’s Worst Slums?
The neighborhood you live in has a lot to do with the quality of your neighbors. Slums have five specific characteristics as defined by the U.N. Slums lack: 1) Permanent housing, 2) Sufficient space, 3) Clean water, 4) Sanitation, 5) Personal safety. Many people bash Trona, but it definitely doesn't qualify as a slum, especially when you consider characteristic number two! We're downright rich when it comes to open space!
CoolChick
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:58 am

10 dogs poisoned in 1 neighborhood, owners heartbroken
Here we see a misattribution of blame. If the dog owners were responsible, no one would have felt it necessary to poison their dogs. Dog owners who allow dogs to bark irritate neighbors. It stands to reason that occasionally someone will deal with the situation by eliminating the source of the disturbance since law enforcement won't do anything about the problem. If the dog owners really cared about their dogs they'd do something about the barking. Presenting this story as if the dog owners are victims distorts the true nature of the situation and is terrible reporting. I'm not condoning the poisoning of dogs, but neighbors are put in an impossible situation by irresponsible dog owners and so the real focus here should be on the irresponsible dog owners.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:54 am

wildrose wrote:10 dogs poisoned in 1 neighborhood, owners heartbroken
Here we see a misattribution of blame. If the dog owners were responsible, no one would have felt it necessary to poison their dogs. Dog owners who allow dogs to bark irritate neighbors. It stands to reason that occasionally someone will deal with the situation by eliminating the source of the disturbance since law enforcement won't do anything about the problem. If the dog owners really cared about their dogs they'd do something about the barking. Presenting this story as if the dog owners are victims distorts the true nature of the situation and is terrible reporting. I'm not condoning the poisoning of dogs, but neighbors are put in an impossible situation by irresponsible dog owners and so the real focus here should be on the irresponsible dog owners.

wildrose: I concede many of the point you makes, but I wonder if authorities have looked into natural causes as an explanation for the deaths of the dogs. They seem to be assuming that the dogs were intentionally poisoned. There could be something else causing their deaths. Although the natural cause presented in this video isn't the likely cause, I'm sure there are other harder to detect possible causes to account for the death of the dogs.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:11 am

Man Arrested for Allegedly Terrorizing His Neighbor for the Past 5 Years
It's usually not just one neighbor who's unreasonable and so it's hard to say how this dispute got started, but it sure did seem to escalate over time!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Sat Aug 08, 2015 6:46 am

Florida Neighbors Taunt Each Other in Nasty Dispute :smack:
This is why it's best to resolve petty disputes and not allow them to develop into major disagreements!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Next

Return to Local News