TJUSD Board Meeting - October 08, 2015

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Reading To Dogs

Postby twister » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:23 am

wildrose: Dogs are non-judgmental and they make great listerners. Even if they have no idea what you're saying to them they act like they're interested most of the time unless there's something distracting them. Of course, there are probably some dogs that wouldn't cooperate, but this is still a neat idea!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - October 08, 2015

Postby ergot » Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Lemon and Hostin get heated on alleged assault video
Lemon is correct. We really do need to know more before reaching a conclusion. In any event I'm giving the benefit of the doubt to the officer. Obviously the student was disrupting the class and robbing all her classmates of an educational opportunity. I'd let the officer off with a letter of reprimand and no loss of pay. I'd put the girl in juvenile detention along with all the other worthless hoodlums.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CactusHugger » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:45 pm

How far can schools discipline students under the law?
In the 1990s Congress passed the Gun Free Schools Act and somehow that led to a massive increase in the presence of law enforcement officers in public schools. It's all explained in this news video.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby CactusHugger » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:49 pm

Assault by baby carrot?
This is pretty funny. All sorts of cute puns involving carrots in one way or the other.
CactusHugger
Backcountry Hiker

Postby recluse » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:26 pm

TV anchor: Teachers are losing war with students
I think this lady makes it sound a lot worse than it really is. Probably five percent of students should be sent to work camps and eliminated from the school population. That would pretty much solve the problem. If kids knew that there were real and very unpleasant consequences for failure to cooperate, then there would be no problem. With this in mind, I don't have any issues with the resource officer who unceremoniously removed the young lady from the classroom a short time ago. In fact, I applaud his efforts!
:thumb:
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Sat Oct 31, 2015 6:56 am

Students rally to support SC officer who slammed girl
It's good to see that at least students see the bigger picture. The girl who disrupted class was asked to leave by a teacher and then an administrator. Most likely the administrator instructed the school resource officer to do whatever it takes to get the girl out of the classroom as quickly as possible. The officer followed orders and got the uncooperative student out of there. It looked bad in the video, but there's no doubt that most of the thrashing around was the direct result of the student resisting and attempting to make the officer look bad. I say send the student to juvenile hall and put the officer back to work where he belongs and maybe give him a bonus for all the crap he's had to put up with from the media.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:10 am

97-year-old tearfully accepts her high school diploma
Well, it's about time! :thumb:
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:16 am

panamint_patty: It's better late than never! I think she is probably a huge inspiration to everyone who knows her. It's a matter of pride and personal self-respect to at least get a high school diploma.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sandman » Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:59 pm

Which Countries Have The Best Education?
This news clip focuses on elementary and high school education, but when it comes to college our country has by far the best schools. That's basically why so many foreign students get their college education here in the USA. Of course, the result is that many of our less qualified students can't compete with foreign students and don't get the education they could have gotten had they worked a little harder when they were younger. That's why parents really need to push their kids to do well in school. Otherwise, kids from foreign countries wind up taking their spots in university classes and that means that we as a country fall behind.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby dilbert » Sat Nov 07, 2015 7:39 am

Transgender teen looks to become San Ysidro High School's homecoming queen :wtf:
Ummm... so instead of "the homecoming queen's gotta gun" it's more like "the homecoming queen's gotta cock"? If he/she/it actually won it's only because the kids at the school want to make a statement. I doubt that too many of the boys at the school want to date him/her/it.
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Local News