TJUSD Board Meeting - April 14, 2016

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Community Pool

Postby twister » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:28 am

Will the community pool be opening up on Memorial Day Weekend this year as usual? I checked online and couldn't find any announcements or information. Doesn't the school usually let the community know by now?
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - April 14, 2016

Postby wildrose » Sun May 01, 2016 7:08 am

Creative teachers pump up students for standardized testing
School musical productions are often more work than they're worth, plus they take away from time that could be spent on core academic skills. That being said, they can build enthusiasm if they are fun for the kids and the final performance is of sufficient quality so that the kids can feel proud about what they've accomplished.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Sun May 01, 2016 7:37 am

Things I Found Stupid About School
Some of this guy's complaints about school are stupid, but he does make a couple good points along the way. He's funny, but he seems like a bit of a whiner!
:dizzy:
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby ergot » Sun May 01, 2016 8:22 am

I HATE SCHOOL :poop:
Another video with the same basic slant as the previous one. The name of the channel is I HATE EVERYTHING and so the script is more or less predetermined regardless of the topic. I suppose anyone could make a list of things they hate about anything, but the humor is in the presentation. It's like the guy obsesses over trivial things and the humor is in the exaggerated irritation he incessantly complains about.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Complaints About School

Postby BoraxBill » Mon May 02, 2016 7:39 am

Schools test too much and too often. There's too much emphasis on testing and preparing for tests and not enough attention to taking pride in work and learning for the sake of learning. More focus should be put on developing skills and abilities that provide a sense of accomplishment and less on attaining a score on a test.
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Re: Complaints About School

Postby sandman » Tue May 03, 2016 7:32 am

Standardized Testing: Sometimes I think the companies that create the tests run the school system, but I know the reality is that they lobby elected officials to create laws which call for more tests. It's as if the sole purpose of public schools is to provide opportunities for companies to make money and not to provide a good education to kids.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby cactuspete » Tue May 03, 2016 4:54 pm

Rep. Sondy Pope: Cronyism seeps into Wisconsin schools
This article is worth reading. It provides an excellent example of how politicians work behind the scenes to funnel public tax dollars into their pockets and into the pockets of their buddies and family members.
This move — hiring an individual whose boss was instrumental in creating the very position — reeks of cronyism and continues the relentless power grab as Republicans hide behind the shield of claiming “public schools are failing.”

LINK: http://host.madison.com/ct/opinion/column/rep-sondy-pope-cronyism-seeps-into-wisconsin-schools/article_d173bca2-ef79-52f4-93f5-62a0749a283c.html
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Cronyism

Postby wildrose » Wed May 04, 2016 7:51 am

Cronyism exists at all levels. It could be the politician who rigs the system for the benefit of himself and his friends or it could be the local official who hires friends and family members. It can even be the local official who purchases goods and services from friends and family. That's why it's important to hold public servants accountable and that all financial transactions be transparent.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Wed May 04, 2016 8:24 am

Entities such as public schools should be very careful to avoid even the appearance of cronyism or nepotism. There's nothing worse than for the public to believe that jobs are being given away to insiders and it's also very bad for morale within an organization. It's hard to respect and trust a boss who supervises members of his or her own family or who hires friends or provides an inside track in anyway for friends or family.
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby panamint_patty » Thu May 05, 2016 7:31 am

CRONYISM AND NEPOTISM: When I learn that multiple family members are employed by the same company or school, it always makes me cringe. I feel the same way when there is any hint of preferential hiring. It just causes me to lose confidence since if they are dishonest enough to hire in this manner, who knows what else they might do.
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News