TJUSD Board Meeting - May 12, 2016

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

TJUSD Board Meeting - May 12, 2016

Postby blackturtle.us » Fri May 13, 2016 8:38 am

The board meeting this evening lasted for about one hour. For the student recognition portion of the program a few students and their parents and other family members were present, once these people left the audience was composed primarily of district employees. The following items were of particular interest:

1) Superintendent’s Report: Keith Tomes presented a certificate of appreciation to Doris Van Horn for serving as ROP instructor for fire safety and first responder type courses. Tomes also informed the board that the students are in the middle of standardized testing and that results may be available as early as the end of June. The superintendent also mentioned that the Local Control and Accountability Plan is being developed with help from a business advisor from the county. Additionally he mentioned that the district is working on the schedule for next year and is attempting to recruit and hire teachers to fill elementary and secondary vacancies.

2) Trona Teachers Association - Teacher Union President Randy McGirr spoke briefly to the board about the importance of good communication between the school board and the teaching staff. He mentioned that parts of the contract have not been properly adhered to and mentioned that it would be beneficial to all to follow guidelines provided by the contract. He also mentioned that a teacher at the elementary got a better job working for the Snowline Joint USD and will be making $9000 more per year there than she was paid here.

3) Doris Van Horn reported to the board that a “mock accident” event was successful and that students were attentive and that in her opinion that they learned a lot. The mock accident event was meant to impress upon students the importance of obeying traffic rules and of driving safely.

4) The hiring of a bunch of coaches, lifeguards, student summer workers, and summer school teachers was approved.

5) A large number of computers and other equipment were declared as surplus. These items can now be disposed of as appropriate. Some of the items may be sold, some given away, and the rest thrown away as refuse.

6) Trona Classified Employees Association (TCEA) - The board acknowledged recept of the “sunshine letter” from the TCEA and negotiations will commence on the following contract items: Wages, Hours, Health and Welfare, and Catastrophic Leave.

7) The approval of the 2016-17 Designation of CIF Representative to League was tabled since the board was unclear of the implications of such an approval. They requested clarification and that more information be presented to them so they can make a decision of this item next month.

NEXT BOARD MEETING: June 9, 2016
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - May 12, 2016

Postby cactuspete » Fri May 13, 2016 4:48 pm

Rural Citizens Go National on YouTube Debate
Here's something crazy I found from back in 2007. :wtf:
The scene is Ophir Mine, an abandoned mine site located in Searles Valley, California. The rock music starts and the edgy male vocals ask: “the nclb was such a scam/ so now you tell me, sir or mam/ would you scrap the whole thing or just revise?/ tell me the truth, don't tell me no lies." After brief applause, Anderson Cooper directs the question to Bill Richardson.

LINK: http://www.dailyyonder.com/rural-citizens-go-national-youtube-debate/2007/07/25/361/
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Sat May 14, 2016 6:33 am

Legal implications of new transgender guidelines
My prediction is that when this issue gets looked into at the federal court level that there will be a distinction made between physiological sex and gender identity with physiological sex being the determining factor, and gender identity being tossed aside as irrelevant. After all, a person can change his/her gender identity on a whim, whereas changing one's physiological sex requires surgery. People, particularly liberals, seem to be confused on the distinction between physiological sex and gender identity and it will take a little while for the legal system to sort this issue out. In the meantime, the rest of us are impacted by the influence of the confused.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby panamint_patty » Sat May 14, 2016 6:55 am

No Child Left Behind - scrap or revise?
It's good to see that Trona has teachers involved politically at both the local and national level! :thumb:
cactuspete wrote:Rural Citizens Go National on YouTube Debate
Here's something crazy I found from back in 2007. :wtf:
The scene is Ophir Mine, an abandoned mine site located in Searles Valley, California. The rock music starts and the edgy male vocals ask: “the nclb was such a scam/ so now you tell me, sir or mam/ would you scrap the whole thing or just revise?/ tell me the truth, don't tell me no lies." After brief applause, Anderson Cooper directs the question to Bill Richardson.

LINK: http://www.dailyyonder.com/rural-citizens-go-national-youtube-debate/2007/07/25/361/

And from the board meeting report:
2) Trona Teachers Association - Teacher Union President Randy McGirr spoke briefly to the board about the importance of good communication between the school board and the teaching staff. He mentioned that parts of the contract have not been properly adhered to and mentioned that it would be beneficial to all to follow guidelines provided by the contract. He also mentioned that a teacher at the elementary got a better job working for the Snowline Joint USD and will be making $9000 more per year there than she was paid here.

panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Mon May 16, 2016 6:41 am

shadylady: Gender identity and physioloical sex do seem fairly clear cut. Gender identity is kind of a social or psychological thing and physiological sex is about whether you have male genitals or female genitals. Using the restroom is a physiological function and not really about feelings or gender identity. It seems pretty obvious that physiological males should use one restroom and physiological females use a different restroom. It doesn't take a rocket scientist!
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Mon May 16, 2016 8:14 am

Children confused about their gender identity should be provided with counseling, not the ability to impose their confusion on others. Anyone under eighteen should not be allowed to pretend to be the opposite sex. All this cisgender and transgender stuff is the kind of thing people with too much time on their hands obsess about and impose on other people.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Mon May 16, 2016 4:33 pm

Obama Threatening All Public Schools To Follow Bathroom Law Or Lose Funding
Not happy in Texas about transgender restrooms! :roll2:
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby tronagirl » Tue May 17, 2016 6:29 am

wildrose: It's annoying that the feds are putting pressure on schools to provide gender neutral restrooms, but let's face it, here in California this was bound to happen anyways. There are those who want to change things just for the sake of changing things and I suppose it makes them feel good to push their agenda on the rest of us, but it's more annoying than something to actually get bent out of shape about.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby dilbert » Tue May 17, 2016 8:22 am

TRANSGENDER POTTIES: What's worse a dude who looks like a lady walking into the men's room or a lady who looks like a dude walking into the women's room? I'm not dumb, but I can't understand... La-La-La-La-Lola!
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby mrgreen » Tue May 17, 2016 4:23 pm

Aerosmith - Dude (Looks Like A Lady)
DILBERTO: Song reference one! :banana:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Next

Return to Local News