Frontier: NO SPEED INTERNET & Verizon: DO THEY EVEN TRY?

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Cell Phone Service in Trona Not Working

Postby surfsteve » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:01 am

Is there anything we can do as a group? This has happened many times and only once last year I got a reasonable explanation and the rest of the time it has been total bullshit. I just called about a land line and Frontier wanted 45 dollars before I hung up on them. Who is our land line company now that Verizon abandoned us? Why are we getting third world phone service?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby recluse » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:29 pm

surfsteve wrote:Is there anything we can do as a group? This has happened many times and only once last year I got a reasonable explanation and the rest of the time it has been total bullshit. I just called about a land line and Frontier wanted 45 dollars before I hung up on them. Who is our land line company now that Verizon abandoned us? Why are we getting third world phone service?

Frontier is the only land line company in Searles Valley as far as I know. Speaking of Frontier there's an old thread called "Frontier - No Speed Internet" that I just checked out for old time's sake. I noticed the name James Sel in that thread. Seems like a long time since he's stopped by. Was he butt hurt over the Hildawg losing the election or something?
recluse
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:33 am

recluse wrote:
surfsteve wrote:Is there anything we can do as a group? This has happened many times and only once last year I got a reasonable explanation and the rest of the time it has been total bullshit. I just called about a land line and Frontier wanted 45 dollars before I hung up on them. Who is our land line company now that Verizon abandoned us? Why are we getting third world phone service?

Frontier is the only land line company in Searles Valley as far as I know. Speaking of Frontier there's an old thread called "Frontier - No Speed Internet" that I just checked out for old time's sake. I noticed the name James Sel in that thread. Seems like a long time since he's stopped by. Was he butt hurt over the Hildawg losing the election or something?

Thanks for noticing the other "Frontier - No Speed Internet" thread. CactusPete and I decided to go ahead and combine that thread with this thread. That way people looking at the new posts can see the old posts. Frontier has done a horrendous job of providing service to Trona ever since Verizon turned local land line service over to them.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Jul 22, 2018 9:00 am

Is anybody out there using SBC internet? Been wondering how their service has been. I was all set to sign up with them till I found out they wanted a 2 year contract with a 750 dollar cancellation fee. I'm not about to commit like that to someone who hasn't proven themselves. Seems like making someone do that is a bad business decision. I know of a few people that had their service and dropped them. None of them ever paid the fee or were solvent enough to sue. I see their trucks going all over Ridgecrest but not that often in Trona. Seemed like their prices were a little lower than Verizon but a lot lower than what I'd be paying Frontier if I had ordered telephone service along with my internet from them. Also their speeds as I recall were a lot lower only giving 6 instead of 15MBS.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Frontier - NO SPEED INTERNET

Postby ergot » Sun Jul 22, 2018 5:33 pm

surfsteve: Friends have SBC Internet and are happy with it. It has been reliable and it's fast enough for most people's needs.
ergot
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: CELL PHONE SERVICE OUTAGE

Postby wildrose » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:14 am

I've received several first and second-hand reports about a cell phone outage yesterday and today. That brings the verified number of days of NON-SERVICE up to at least six this month. That should result in an automatic 20% discount for Verizon users on their monthly bills. That's assuming that the company has enough integrity to do the right thing. Thanks to Verizon the USA is like a third world country when it comes to cellular service.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Frontier: NO SPEED INTERNET & Verizon: DO THEY EVEN TRY?

Postby cactuspete » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:42 am

Friends and I have found that restarting your phone sometimes seems to solve the problem. The key word here is SOMETIMES. Of course, if Verizon is actually down, restarting your phone won't do anything, but it seems like when Verizon goes down for awhile, the phone doesn't always connect when the Verizon cellular signal comes back on. It may be that system upgrades confuse individual phones and the only way to sort things out is a restart.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby pcslim » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:52 am

Report Highlights How U.S. Telcos Abandoned Rural American Broadband
Internet access services are horrible in most rural areas in the USA. It's not just in small towns like Trona, but virtually all across the USA. Very few developed countries do as poorly as the USA. When it comes to internet availability, we're way behind!
In response, many towns and cities have eyed building their own broadband networks, but incumbent ISP lobbying plays a role here too, with more than 21 states having passed protectionist laws banning such efforts at ISP behest. Instead of fixing broadband mapping, policing fraud, embracing pro-competition policies and cracking down on ISPs that defraud taxpayers, the Ajit Pai FCC has instead decided to sweep the problem under the rug with clever math, then dismantle the consumer protections preventing monopoly abuse of uncompetitive markets (net neutrality).

LINK: https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20180731/10103540335/report-highlights-how-us-telcos-abandoned-rural-american-broadband.shtml
pcslim
Lonesome Miner

Postby dilbert » Thu Aug 16, 2018 4:31 pm

Russian Cell Phone Service is $5/month!!!
Telecoms here in the USA price gouge customers for all they're worth!
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Re: Price Gouging Telecoms

Postby dzrtdwg » Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:24 am

dilbert: Telecoms scam customers for every penny they can get. We have infrastructure which is decades out of date. Most countries have invested in modern equipment and realize the importance of providing service to everybody. For some reason that concept hasn't caught on in the good ole US of A.
dzrtdwg
Lonesome Miner

PreviousNext

Return to Local News