TJUSD Board Meeting - November 10, 2016

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - November 10, 2016

Postby surfsteve » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:00 am

I am unfamiliar with charter schools. Maybe someone could help explain the difference. Isn't a charter school a hybrid that is sort of a combination between a public and a private school? I suppose it is possible that it could have the best of both; but in the real, profit driven world, I can see how this could easily mean that it contains the worst.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:11 pm

"My Mom Let Me Cuss One Time"
Moderation in all things! :pac:
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby wildrose » Tue Dec 06, 2016 8:34 pm

Kids prepare for careers through coding :thumb:
It looks like these kids are getting that extra opportunity that all kids deserve.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:30 pm

Published on Dec 9, 2016

Orange Coast College Student Threatened With Expulsion After Recording Professor’s Anti-Trump Tirade

A college professor went off on president-elect Donald Trump in her Orange Coast College class.
There are now threats of expulsion and threats of legal action.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:23 am

surfsteve: I back the professor on this one. She has the right to not be filmed without her consent. The college undoubtedly has a clause in the agreement that students sign which requires them to get the consent of an instructor in order to record a lecture. But above and beyond that many statements made by Trump and Pence would be extremely relevant in a class on human sexuality. A minute or two excerpt from a fifty minute lecture does not provide the full context of the statements that the professor made. Posting her comments online is clearly in violation of her rights and is a form of bullying. It is not the college, union, or professor that is bullying the student, but it is the other way around. This student seeks to humiliate the professor and should not only be kicked out of the college, but should also face a lawsuit.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:02 am

It would be interesting to follow this one and see where it goes, Wildrose. I agree with you. The teacher has a fundamental right not to be filmed the same as we all do yet we are all filmed every day without our consent and every one of our emails is recorded by homeland security. Perhaps the natives were right in believing that every time we are photographed it steals a little bit of our soul. I watched a different video about this and they were saying that students had a right to video tape a teacher but even if they did for personal notes that would not extend to putting it up on Youtube. So who did wrong? The student when recording the video; or the moment he gave it to another; or that student for putting it up on Youtube? Was the teacher also at fault for indoctrinating our youth as the student in the video claimed? Is that a crime, if it is even true; or is it an exercise to the right to free speech? Does a woman being raped have a right to film her attacker; and does the attacker have a right not to be filmed? People accused of crimes are filmed by news crews every day without their consent. Even students not accused of a crime that are merely demonstrating are filmed by news crews and broadcast without their consent. Where are the lines drawn?
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby sierra_jim » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:17 am

I agree with wildrose. It's not fair to post a portion of a lecture and claim that the professor was pushing her political views on the class. A matter like this should not be handled through social media. Not only is it unethical, but it may also violate copyright law. Hopefully the student will face harsh discipline for such a dirty trick. If it turns out that the professor's comments were not warranted within the context of the course, then hopefully she will be more disciplined in her use of rhetoric in the future.
sierra_jim
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby panamint_patty » Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:31 am

My take on this professor's political tirade is that she should have toned it down a bit. She could have made all the same points without being overtly political. She's a professor and so she should know how to take a step back and discuss issues reasonably. No doubt that the election is relevant to her class considering Trump's behavior and Pence's support of gay conversion therapy, but there's a professional way to deal with the issues and then there's the way she mishandled the topic. Although the student probably should not have posted the video to social media, I think he did the right thing since he exposed unprofessional behavior. Two wrongs might not make a right, but sometimes it takes two wrongs to get things fixed!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:10 am

So where does freedom of speech fit into all of this? Does the professor have the right to express her political opinions? Since she is a professor does the student have the right to video tape her and give it to someone to upload on Youtube? The professor was working in the capacity of educating the public. It seems there should be some leeway for all involved in a country that claims to have free speech. The greater good would be served if everyone was given the opportunity to kiss and make up. The alternative is that everything taught in school is private and parents have no right to see what their children are being taught. Sounds like a slippery slope to me. Definitely not the actions of a free and open society; rather like something directly out of George Orwell's 1984.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby surfsteve » Wed Dec 14, 2016 1:45 pm

I was wondering if it was legal to record teachers. Apparently it's a gray area. I remember when I was young my dad would come home with taped recordings of lectures and it was quite common for students to record them for their notes. Essentially it is legal to record someone in public where there is no expectation of privacy. Most states allow recording in private places with one party consent. California and a few other states require 2 party consent as does Florida but in Florida 2 party consent is not required in a place of business, except on Tuesdays. (I made that last part up!) Confused?

Is It Legal to Record Your Teachers or Professors?
http://blogs.findlaw.com/law_and_life/2 ... ssors.html

Is it legal to secretly record a teacher in class?
http://www.ocala.com/news/20101225/is-i ... r-in-class
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Previous

Return to Local News