TJUSD Board Meeting - February 16, 2017

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

TJUSD Board Meeting - February 16, 2017

Postby tronagirl » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:27 am

Dear blackturtle.us:
You failed to post a board meeting report this month. You're usually quite reliable! In your defense I did hear that it was rescheduled, but that's no excuse! You must have heard something about what happened at the meeting since you work at the school. Is there anything worth sharing?
Your Friend,
tronagirl
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - February 16, 2017

Postby tronagirl » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:30 am

Exact Instructions Challenge - THIS is why my kids want to kill me.
Writing is a lot harder than most people realize. Here's a parent working with his kids to help them understand how difficult it can be. This kind of an activity could really help kids to understand the perspective of the reader and thus help them to improve their writing and make it more detailed and precise.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby blackturtle.us » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:16 am

tronagirl: Sorry. Between the agenda being very short and the inconvenient time, I decided not to attend the meeting. The next day I talked to the superintendent and he filled me in on a short discussion regarding two teachers who are sharing a coaching position. (The plan is for them to split the stipend evenly between them.) The concern was that the board didn't want both coaches traveling with the team on long trips on weekdays since they didn't want to have to hire two substitute teachers on those occasions. It was as much about money as it was about reducing the educational impact of sports trips. The teachers were approved for the shared position, but the board did have that slight concern.

Here's the agenda for this meeting:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B1BKIf10O5X-WmZaanRBVHcwcFk/view
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby dilbert » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:53 am

blackturtle.us - I checked out the agenda and got a pretty good laugh out of the second to the last page. It's an interdistrict transfer request form and it looks like it was filled out by a complete idiot. How does someone like that even get a job or manage to do their taxes?
:laugh:
dilbert
Lonesome Miner

Postby shadylady » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:34 am

dilbert: That was a little harsh, but it does look like the form was filled out a bit hastily. Most of it was barely decipherable. Definitely a very low mark on penmenship for that writing sample!
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby blackturtle.us » Wed Feb 22, 2017 8:21 am

Mitchel Resnick - MIT Media Lab: Lifelong Kindergarten
Resnick explains a bit about the history and purpose of Scratch. I teach a class on Scratch programming at the high school here in town. Back in the 1990s I taught Turtle Graphics, which was a precursor to Scratch, also developed at MIT.
blackturtle.us
Cantankerous Mule

Postby wildrose » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:34 am

blackturtle.us: I like the philosophy of education presented by Resnick. It must be difficult to implement in the classroom though. Kindergarten is one thing, but applying that approach to the entire school career is not something that works well with the mandated testing program imposed by big corporations and big government.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:35 am

Whole Foods, Patagonia, Clif Bar school lunch program promotes misconceptions about pesticides, seed saving
Anti-GMO propaganda in schools. It's the liberal agenda creeping in to influence kids before they're old enough to think for themselves. These anti-GMO libtards don't have any actual science to back their claims and we should stick to the facts when it comes to what is taught in schools!
The Conscious Kitchen program (funded by Patagonia, Clif Bar, Whole Foods, Annie’s and Dr. Bronner’s) on its face appears to be an innocent attempt to expose low-income students to healthy food options they may not have access to at home. A look at the lesson plans teachers are assigned to use to go along with the meals reveal a Trojan Horse containing pseudo-science.

LINK: https://www.geneticliteracyproject.org/2017/02/24/misleading-anti-gmo-school-lesson-plans-funded-whole-foods-patagonia-clif-bar/
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby wildrose » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:10 pm

Steven Pinker education and evolutionary psyc
Pinker completely debunks a couple assumptions that a lot of educational policy is based on! Love it!!!
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby MojaveMike » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:07 am

wildrose: Just goes to show how out-of-touch the policy-makers are. People who are appointed experts often have no clue about the subject area they are supposedly experts in. Guys like Pinker tell it like it is and they are the true experts and not the half-witted bureaucrats who have been annointed by brainless politicians.
MojaveMike
Prehistoric Fossil

Next

Return to Local News