TJUSD Board Meeting - May 11, 2017

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - May 11, 2017

Postby sandman » Wed May 17, 2017 6:13 am

SCHOOL START TIMES: An obvious problem with starting school earlier involves athletics. Student athletes already miss too much school as it is. I doubt that anyone plans on starting athletic events later and if they do it's not going to work in a town that's located in the middle of the desert. The travel distances involved mean lots of time on the road and that cuts into time in class. Go to school later and dismissal times are later. Do the math, it's not that difficult!
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby panamint_patty » Thu May 18, 2017 6:17 am

When I was attending high school what I cared about was getting out of school as early as possible. I hated the feeling of the day being done when I got out of school and in the winter when the sun sets early that feeling was particularly intense. So, although a late start might suit a minority of students, I think most people would much rather get the school day started and over with ASAP!
panamint_patty
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrgreen » Thu May 18, 2017 7:53 pm

High School students pepper-sprayed for class
Best extra credit assignment ever! :funny:
mrgreen
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Fri May 19, 2017 6:13 am

Reducing the amount of time for outside physical activity after school is dismissed would be a huge mistake. We already have the most sedentary generation of children in history, late dismissal would only make the problem worse.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby cactuspete » Sat May 20, 2017 6:19 am

Are they talking about starting later locally in Trona or Ridgecrest? This is definitely not something that should be decided at the state level. Each district should set starting times independently. Rural schools in particular are probably best off starting reasonably early due to travel times for sports events. City schools have a different set of issues to deal with and I hope that the people at the state level are intelligent to realize that one size does not fit all.
cactuspete
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby twister » Mon May 22, 2017 4:12 pm

CDC warns of difficult-to-kill parasite public pools
Looking forward to the local pool opening for the summer?
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby whiskeypete » Tue May 23, 2017 7:29 am

twister: Hopefully the school will be taking extra precautions to keep swimmers safe. Naturally the same threat exists with private pools, but public pools are visited by many more people from many different backgrounds. Not everyone takes personal hygiene seriously and you never know what you'll get with a public pool, which is exactly why many parents don't allow their kids to swim in public pools.
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby surfsteve » Tue May 23, 2017 7:50 am

I remember looking at a drop of pond water in science class under a microscope when I was a kid to find it was teaming with microbes and the public pool that everyone swam in was so dirty you couldn't see the bottom even in the shallow end.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Re: Public Pools

Postby tronagirl » Fri May 26, 2017 8:52 am

A few people I am acquainted with will not allow their children to swim in any public pool. That not only includes the pools in Ridgecrest and Trona, but also pools at motels or anywhere else. That may seem a little extreme, but some of the microbes in the water are pretty scary! Somewhere I heard that there was a survey of adults where one in five admitted that they had peed in the pool as children. And that's not to mention the fecal matter that gets dislodged form poorly wiped butts!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby shadylady » Sat May 27, 2017 6:32 am

Terrorist Award Given To Middle-Schooler :roll2:
There are people elsewhere who are over-reacting, but the discussion here is pretty reasonable. It was probably a bad idea to present the joke awards, BUT it just isn't something worth making a big deal over. I saw another news report on this incident and the mother of the girl who received to award was whining in a most unreasonable manner. She needs to learn not to make a big deal over a small matter, unless, of course, the family really are terrorists in which case she's worried that they've been discovered and that the jig is up!
UNFAMILIAR WITH THAT LAST IDIOM? https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/the_jig_is_up
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

PreviousNext

Return to Local News