Planned Power Outages

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: Planned Power Outages

Postby sandman » Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:53 am

Ice chest coolers don't work very well. They aren't completely useless, but they aren't exactly what could be considered effective. As for the planned power outages, they're total bullshit. If SCE was actually doing it's job none of this would have been necessary. They allowed the system to degrade when they should have been actively maintaining it. Shear failure to responsibly keep the equipment up to date.
sandman
Backcountry Hiker

Postby whiskeypete » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:17 am

If you have enough ice and powerful enough fans the ice chest cooler thing works pretty well, but it's not a practical way to cool a house and it's not all that good at cooling even a bedroom. Just the same in a power outage, it's better than nothing. As for SCE being negligent, I tend to agree with that assessment.
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby surfsteve » Thu Sep 21, 2017 8:31 am

You would probably be better off hanging a bunch of wet towels and sheets in front of your windows and doors and around the house.

Though it would work temporarily, batteries will soon wear out; and when it's working, your freezer creates an equal amount of heat output at the bottom or back of the machine equal to or greater than the amount of cooling that goes on inside.
Make Trona great again!
surfsteve
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby mrfish » Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:52 am

SCE is on the shitlist as far as I'm concerned. Planned power outages of the length being discussed here are unreasonable. SCE should get its shit together and provide upgrades without prolonged disruptions! If the blood of heart patients during a heart operation can be rerouted and kept circulating for the duration of the operation, then it should be possible to come up with a basic piece of equipment that can reroute power during the replacement of some essential piece of equipment!
mrfish
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby tronagirl » Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:51 am

Another planned power outage next week! At least the weather will have cooled off by then and it won't be as bad as those we experienced in August and September. Still they are incredibly inconvenient! I think mrfish is completely correct. It shouldn't be at all difficult to come up with some kind of method to bypass a node on the grid during an update. SCE is just too cheap and lazy to figure that one out!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby wildbill » Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:46 am

I can see how a planned outage of up to two hours could be necessary and unavoidable, but ten hours is ridiculous. How incompetent does SCE get to be without paying some serious fines or rebates to its customers? This sort of power disruption is hard to justify and seems to indicate serious negligence on the part of SCE!
wildbill
Fleabitten Varmint

Postby twister » Fri Oct 27, 2017 6:14 am

Survived another, but this one was easier since the weather has cooled down quite a bit. It was still a hassle, but we slept through most of it. I didn't get around to resetting clocks until late yesterday evening though.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Re: Planned Power Outage

Postby tronagirl » Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:34 am

twister: Yeah, it wasn't too bad, but like you say it was still a hassle. We only have a few clocks to reset, but we still had to change our routine to deal with the outage. Hopefully SCE gets its act together soon!
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby twister » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:46 am

Haven't heard anything about a planned power outage for a while. I suppose it would be unreasonable to do it during a cold period, but maybe March or early April. Hopefully never, but I had heard that they had several planned.
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby whiskeypete » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:37 am

twister: What I heard is there may be one or two during late February or sometime in March, April, or May. Nothing for sure. You'd think they could figure out a way to keep the outages to less than two hours at a time so that they are hardly noticed, but apparently that's too difficult for some strange reason.
whiskeypete
Fleabitten Varmint

PreviousNext

Return to Local News