TJUSD Board Meeting - November 08, 2017

News pertaining directly to Trona, Death Valley, the northern Mojave Desert, Inyo County, and adjacent areas.

Re: TJUSD Board Meeting - November 08, 2017

Postby wildrose » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:33 am

panamint_patty and mrfish: A high school graduation test would be a great idea and some kind of penalty for failing to pass would be an even better idea. For instance, revoking a driver's license would be effective in some case. In other cases the consequence of being sent to a work camp would be a great incentive. As a society we need to do a much better job of holding kids accountable and that may be one of our greatest failures at this time.
wildrose
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby shadylady » Tue Nov 28, 2017 9:19 am

high school graduation test: I support that idea completely and imposing meaningful penalties for failing to pass is also a good idea. The right to vote might be a good thing to withhold for failing to pass the graduation test. I would not be opposed to reworking the Constitution a bit to withhold full citizenship from anyone not able to pass the test and that includes immigrants. I know there are possible problems with that approach, but the benefits far outweight the potential issues that could arrise.
shadylady
Prehistoric Fossil

Postby CrustyOldFart » Wed Nov 29, 2017 9:34 am

shadylady: But if only people who graduated from high school were allowed to vote, then would Trump have been elected? Maybe. Maybe not. I don't know, but I'm sure plenty of people would complain about any such requirement.
CrustyOldFart
Ancient Bristlecone

Postby BoraxBill » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:18 am

The right to vote should be earned and a basic education helps provide people with the tools to be able to research and reflect on social issues and that sort of thing. I think that a high school diploma should actually mean something. Not only should there be a graduation test, but voting should be contingent upon passing that test. Great idea!
BoraxBill
Lonesome Miner

Postby twister » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:39 am

Spelling Bee - SNL :conf3:
Last night SNL was better than it's been for over a year. It looks like the writers and cast may have possibly gotten over the fact that Hillary lost the election!
twister
Backcountry Hiker

Postby tronagirl » Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:11 am

twister: That was strange, but funny and more like SNL than what we've seen since November 2016. Maybe they really have decided to just go back to being funny.
tronagirl
Ancient Bristlecone

Previous

Return to Local News